Pioneer 2018

25 minutes ago, dcifan1999 said:

Also, in 2005, we averaged about 30 members of the hornline at camps until about April, when the numbers went up.

I'm presuming that the "we" in the sentence above does not refer to the Madison Scouts, the corps listed as your drum corps experience in the bio you posted.

The reader(s) can only presume you are carrying a pretty big chip on your shoulder for some reason and why you disdain any positive posting about Pioneer. Perhaps you might explain your stance better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I'm presuming that the "we" in the sentence above does not refer to the Madison Scouts, the corps listed as your drum corps experience in the bio you posted.

The reader(s) can only presume you are carrying a pretty big chip on your shoulder for some reason and why you disdain any positive posting about Pioneer. Perhaps you might explain your stance better.

I apologize, I was involved with the staff at Pioneer in 2005.

7 minutes ago, PioBrass18 said:

1. Yes. We have 31 brass registered for January camp with 36 days left until camp. This number is not including members who have previous commitments (so they can't attend camp) and those who have just been cut from other drum corps that we will be reaching out to.

2. This is my first year with Pioneer, so I couldn't say for sure if the talent level is higher. What I can say is that these students are hungry, and they have been pushing the staff for instruction. We are currently making our way through our brass fundamental program through videos and will begin Skype private lessons shortly.

Our goal for the January camp is (and has been since September 12 when we started) 50 brass members in attendance. I have no doubt that we will reach this mark, and I look forward to sharing pictures (and maybe even a video) of what they accomplish.

At the end of the day, this is not about comparing specific years of the past to what we are doing. The students are focused on making great sounds together, moving together, and being the best version of themselves that they can be. Bold statements are made when you believe strongly in what you're doing, and in this case, what the students are doing.

I can't wait to share their work with everyone. #GrowPio

Andy

Thank you for the info, and congrats on the position. My questions rise from the fact that you posted that Pioneer is further along than they have ever been, and based on your reply, your opinion is hard to take seriously.

I'm glad the kids are hungry, and that you have the 31 registered for January camp, but the truth and fact of the matter is this does not show that Pioneer is further along, nor does it show that Pioneer is growing, as that number is actually concerning in my opinion. I can tell you for certain that the number is lower than it has been for Pioneer many years, and the fact that the kids are hungry does not show growth or greater progress.

I'm all for being excited, but I'm also for being realistic and factual.

The fact of the matter is Pioneer currently has similar numbers they've had for January camp in the past, which is still less than half of virtually all other world class corps, and even many open class corps. In addition, Pioneer is once again typecasting themselves in terms of show concept, as well as continually missing many opportunities for recruiting. As someone that lives in Chicago, and works with a number of programs, I have yet to see any efforts to get kids to come to Milwaukee from this area. When I walk into various schools throughout the Chicago area, I see posters and info for many other corps, from all across the country, and nothing from Pioneer.

Keep going with the optimism, and I hope you find success there, but I'm not holding out hope that things will improve much, if at all.

5 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

Thank you for the info, and congrats on the position. My questions rise from the fact that you posted that Pioneer is further along than they have ever been, and based on your reply, your opinion is hard to take seriously.

I'm glad the kids are hungry, and that you have the 31 registered for January camp, but the truth and fact of the matter is this does not show that Pioneer is further along, nor does it show that Pioneer is growing, as that number is actually concerning in my opinion. I can tell you for certain that the number is lower than it has been for Pioneer many years, and the fact that the kids are hungry does not show growth or greater progress.

The fact of the matter is Pioneer currently has similar numbers they've had for January camp in the past, which is still less than half of virtually all other world class corps, and even many open class corps. In addition, Pioneer is once again typecasting themselves in terms of show concept, as well as continually missing many opportunities for recruiting. As someone that lives in Chicago, and works with a number of programs, I have yet to see any efforts to get kids to come to Milwaukee from this area. When I walk into various schools throughout the Chicago area, I see posters and info for many other corps, from all across the country, and nothing from Pioneer.

Keep going with the optimism, and I hope you find success there, but I'm not holding out hope that things will improve much, if at all.

I appreciate your insight and candidness of what you think is/isn't happening.

Please know that we are doing everything we can to give these students a great experience. I'm sorry that you do not feel that our efforts are making a difference.

The kids feel great about what is happening, as there were only 21 brass in attendance for the January camp last year. To be 10 students higher than that with 36 days left until camp provides a lot to be proud of. I know I'M proud of them.

Again, thank you for your opinion. I look forward to keeping everyone updated as we accomplish our goals...no matter how unrealistic or outlandish you may think they are.

Andy

Brass Caption Supervisor

Edited by PioBrass18
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

Andy, 

This is exactly why posting anything positive on DCP is worthless because the basis of many of these posts is to attack the person or the corps responsible.

Radio silence may be a better option - and folks can see/hear for themselves in January.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, copyright said:

Andy, 

This is exactly why posting anything positive on DCP is worthless because the basis of many of these posts is to attack the person or the corps responsible.

Radio silence may be a better option - and folks can see/hear for themselves in January.

But there might be critics seeing/hearing the corps.  By your logic, it would be better to never go public at all.  No Internet posts, no camps, no performances, no corps.  Only then will the goal of no criticism be achieved.

Yes, arguing with a critic sometimes proves futile.  But refraining from any posting at all would be an overreaction, in my view.

• Like 1

Thanks, all! We're looking forward to helping these students be the best they can be. We appreciate the support and constructive feedback; both are equally important to reaching our goals. See you on the road!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...