2018 Uniform Thread

Now that the Blue Devils won DCI with a more traditional uniform, Wil we expect to see corps follow their lead? Or will the spandex uniforms continue to appear in DCI?

3 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Now that the Blue Devils won DCI with a more traditional uniform, Wil we expect to see corps follow their lead? Or will the spandex uniforms continue to appear in DCI?

Look again, wasn’t exactly a traditional uniform 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Look again, wasn’t exactly a traditional uniform 

It was a relatively traditional uniform though. They have shakos, bibbers, and non-spandex tops. I’m not saying traditional as in the Cadets West-point uniforms

I expect (maybe hope) to see diversity - across corps, but also year to year for a given corps. Maybe Madison comes out with something just as different as LMS this year. But soon, it will be a thrill to see the traditional Scout look come back. Same for Vanguard and others.

54 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I doubt it.  None of these Corps scores/ placements are tied to attire/headgear choices anyway. As such BD could win with hats/ no hats.. traditional or avant garde attire/ headgear, or anything at all that they chose. Besides, we don't our current DCI judges, giving or subtracting points on the score sheets based upon what attire/headgear choices all these World Class/ Open Corps decide upon, imo. Have we seen what choices these judges make in their own lives for their own attire/ headgear ?... lol. Trust me then, we don't want them assigning points based upon attire/ headgear choices that all these Corps make ... lol!.... Let the DCI judges stick to assigning points on the expertise they DO have, ie... marching, brass playing, percussion playing, guard performance, show design, performance execution, etc.

Edited by BRASSO

22 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

It was a relatively traditional uniform though. They have shakos, bibbers, and non-spandex tops. I’m not saying traditional as in the Cadets West-point uniforms

Only for less than half of the show 

• Like 2

I want to go back to the 90's uniforms. Yeah - that might get me to  buy a ticket.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

I want to go back to the 90's uniforms. Yeah - that might get me to  buy a ticket.

I know you probably stated this tongue in cheek, but " 90's uniforms " might you be referring too, anyway ?. Throughout the DCI years, Corps have had pretty wide diversity of attire/ headgear, with very few of them being similar to one another... 1990's included. Personally, I think the 1970's were THE single most diverse decade for DCI Drum Corps styles of attire/ headgear. We have not quite seen such wide diversity of styles, and headgear since imo. DCI had attire/ headgear choices that were as dissimilar as that of Guardsmen, 27th, Bridgemen, Garfield Cadets, Hawthorne Muchachos, Les Chatelaines, Freelancers, Kilties, Sky Ryders, Boston Crusaders,, The Troopers, Bellevelle Black Knights,  Bluecoats, , Madison Scouts, Wausau Story,  De La Salle Oaklands,  Custers Brigade, General Butler Vagabonds, CMCC Warriors,  Racine Scouts,  Finleyville Crusaders, Phantom Regiment, SCV,  Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Anaheim Kingsmen, Velvet Knights etc... and too many more thoroughly diverse attire/ headgear choices   made among the Corps to mention from this era . ( and none of their attire/ headgear choices had any bearing on their scores/ placements back then either.. lol)

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I don't think we're putting this genie back in the bottle.  Especially as more corps reach the end of the now-traditional 3-year uniform cycle, I'm expecting more and more corps to convert to one-off and athletic/WGI type uniforms.

Mike

Many of the current staffers/ paid consultants/ DCI/WGI judges also have revenue ties to the Mfg. companies, so quick turnover of attire/headgear is a boon to both these attire companies, and these folks that personally financially benefit from this quick turnaround in change of attire/headgar. Its simply good business for these people to have such quick turnover of headgear/ attire with all these Corps now in DCI. Its not  just a " show design " decision.

Edited by BRASSO