8 hours ago, BigW said:

I know where you're coming from, Fran. Let me elaborate. The Era thing is more for historical reference and to enable people to get a handle on things.

Comic books use this, and actually their "Golden Age" is similar to what I described. From Wiki:

"an era of American comic books from the late 1930s to circa 1950. During this time, modern comic books were first published and rapidly increased in popularity. The superhero archetype was created and many well-known characters were introduced, including Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Captain America, and Wonder Woman."

Very similar to the way I described the "Golden age of Drum Corps"- expanding popularity, many firsts, many things established. People have their preferences, that's fine. Comic fans use it so they can have perspective. Corps aficionados can use it to help delineate styles and various approaches to shows and design.

Mel Stratton used these following terms in a clinic I attended in 1983 in regards to the competitive high school activity, and there are direct parallels to the Corps activity:

"Traditional", use of the college style presentation from post WW2 to about 1970 for HS competition bands. No one at that time really knew any better until individuals who were teachers who also had corps experience began to enter the HS scene around that time. When those directors and their bands began to whip everyone... it led to the next period....

"Presentaional" (which is basically drum corps from 1946 to about 1975-1981), which competitive bands used from around 1970 to about 1981- Linear, some curvo-linear, play loud come forward, play soft move back, Opener, Production, Concert number, Percussion feature, closer....

And "Eclectic", in which he described the radical visual changes and show construction changes taking place in corps and band as he delivered his clinic in 1983.

I'd be very curious to see if and how he'd delineate further developments since then, what he'd call them, and the descriptors he'd use. Mel was an incredibly serious thinker about such things, quantifying everything that went into the mix very carefully.

comic book declarations are meaningless given how many reboots they get in film and in the comics

On 10/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, BigW said:

"There wasn't a "Golden Era"? Really? Usually that's what the 50's and 60's are referred to with several hundred local corps in existence and some legendary musicians, designers, and arrangers that drove the activity forward and established the first great paradigms for the activity. The shoe fits to me. Why not use the term?

Re-read the sentence and it should be self-explanatory.

If it's not, then ponder this question:

What was the "Golden Era" of Major League Baseball? Use your same criteria above.

Hint: I marched in the 1990s, when Star was awesome and Phantom won their first and Crown was growing and Glassmen were awesome and drill evolved and show design became a real thing and continuity began and percussion writing became actually musical and there were some legendary musicians, designers, and arrangers that drove the activity forward and established new paradigms for the activity.

MY era was the Golden Era. Right?

48 minutes ago, Lead said:

Re-read the sentence and it should be self-explanatory.

If it's not, then ponder this question:

What was the "Golden Era" of Major League Baseball? Use your same criteria above.

Hint: I marched in the 1990s, when Star was awesome and Phantom won their first and Crown was growing and Glassmen were awesome and drill evolved and show design became a real thing and continuity began and percussion writing became actually musical and there were some legendary musicians, designers, and arrangers that drove the activity forward and established new paradigms for the activity.

MY era was the Golden Era. Right?

So, for narrow minded individuals, the Golden Era is their era?  In that case, there are several Golden eras - its all relative, I guess.  Or perhaps the Uncertainty Principle applies - there are Golden Eras and there aren't or both exist at the same time.

1 hour ago, Bob P. said:

So, for narrow minded individuals, the Golden Era is their era?  In that case, there are several Golden eras - its all relative, I guess.  Or perhaps the Uncertainty Principle applies - there are Golden Eras and there aren't or both exist at the same time.

Now you get to tell me why my argument is narrow-minded?

Just because you disagree with me?

My argument is extremely well-founded, at least given the example BigW used.

You resorted to insults. Why?

My point is simply that Eras are Eras, and no one is better (or worse) than any other.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

comic book declarations are meaningless given how many reboots they get in film and in the comics

And that is in part why they denote the Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Modern (aka Dark) ages, Jeff. A lot of those era changes do have to do with the plot reboots- as well as art style and design. Most of them are done to bring up different subjects that couldn't be brought up before- supposedly. Some of the reboots are a new generation of artists and story people who want to make their own mark on the industry and tell their own stories in their own way... sound familiar?

On 10/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, GUARDLING said:

WE all contributed to today and that's a good thing.

Yes. We all in some way deserve credit and blame. :innocent:

With me, some might go more one way than the other. :whistle:

That being said, I'd like to think the young people I've worked with were better for knowing me than not, same for the people who I marched with. :satisfied:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lead said:

Now you get to tell me why my argument is narrow-minded?

Just because you disagree with me?

You resorted to insults. Why?

My point is simply that Eras are Eras, and no one is better (or worse) than any other.

No I did not "tell you that your argument is narrow minded".  I am saying that YOU are implying that those who argue about "eras" are narrow minded.  Perhaps you didn't see the question mark at the end of the sentence.

There was nothing insulting about my remarks.  But if you were insulted, I am sorry.

And nobody brought up whether eras were better or worse, just whether they existed or not.

I know I said good bye but you are all full of it.  The corps of the 50'single and 60' and even tell early 70'so were real.  They were every day kids playing their hearts out.  They weren't  music majors or dance majors getting college credit.  We did not have to pay.  We were every day kids.  You pompous #####.  Corps was home town USA. Not what it is today.  Real corps has died.

1 hour ago, Grenadier said:

I know I said good bye but you are all full of it.  The corps of the 50'single and 60' and even tell early 70'so were real.  They were every day kids playing their hearts out.  They weren't  music majors or dance majors getting college credit.  We did not have to pay.  We were every day kids.  You pompous #####.  Corps was home town USA. Not what it is today.  Real corps has died.

Try getting anything the way you did from the 50s 60s or 70s.your point is well taken but has no relivance to today...none! Also  if "real" corps died maybe look at why..,and look inward.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grenadier said:

No need for the gratuitous insult there.   We all have our opinions.  No one here is "full of it." 

Fact is... the landscape has changed forever.  Either we accept that, or we don't.

You apparently don't. That's okay. That's entirely your call. 

The thing you're missing, or refuse to acknowledge, is.... the essence of drum corps is the same today as it always has been. Members getting a great experience marching with a corps, and forging relationships and friendships, some of them lifelong, along the way.... and fans coming out to cheer on their favorite corps. 

That's the same as it was when I marched, when you marched, when anyone marched.  Just as "real" as it's ever been.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 5