All time shows: the Cavaliers

"Machine" tops my list.  That was absolutely off the hook.

I also like the Billy Joel show and "Four Corners."  Heck... I like a lot of them.  LOL.

Two from way back... 1971, the year the Cavies did the "Circus" production as part of their show.  One of the defining moments in drum corps history.  What they did seems so tame now... but man, did they take some heat for the use of the costumed characters. 

And 1966... the classic original version of "Bully" plus other cool stuff. Big horn line for its time with a huge sound... groundbreaking use of tuned bass drums... and a show ahead of its time.

Edited by Fran Haring

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yay! I marched on of those shows...

I can't really comment on this thread as I really have so many shows that I love.

I will say that I have grown to really appreciate '98 and '99.

The Traditions for a New Era and Classical Innovations shows were just astounding visual treats, and you could definitely see the ground work being laid for the early 2000s shows.

If I didn't only get to choose my top 5, my favorite shows are:

2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1995, 1992, 1991, 1990, and everything in the 80s and before, because I respect for what they did to form the Cavaliers and the image they hold to this day.

• Like 2

1. Cavalier Anthems 1990 is my favorite, especially "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

2. Frameworks 2002

3. 79/80 Loved "Santa Esmeralda" 

4. Propaganda 2016--just a lot of fun

5. The Planets1995

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 5:44 PM, ThePlanets said:

2012 - definitely a dark year for the Cavaliers.  Saw this show at finals and my husband and I were like "who is this and what are they doing"

I agree with you it was not their best, but I sat near a group of teenagers at finals who went wild wth the dance move they did "Guess I Got My Swagger Back."  I thought "No you haven't" but those kids thought "You never lost it." I figured it may be generational.

• Like 2

Ah, time to geek out. (Sort of)

Top 5 Favorites (no order, too hard)

Propaganda - the message here may have been controversial but my goodness, this may be one of the greatest comeback shows ever. I still find myself humming or whistling to some of the tunes in that show. It was absolutely brilliant. 

The Planets - The Planets by Holst is probably my favorite classical music suite ever written. Watching it come to life on the field was amazing to me and smiles were all around. They blew it out of the water - IMO, I don’t think it can ever be redone. 

Immortal - Personal choice here. It was the first show I had ever experienced in person. The raw power and emotion in this show was portrayed really well. I loved the fabric pulling part in the ballad the most. 

Machine - Need I say more? 

Samurai - being of Asian descent, this show was really cool to me. They didn’t over design this show or saturate it like it very easily could’ve been but it wasn’t. This one always stands out to me as well.

Top 5 Honorable Mentions (no order)

Mad World

Xtraordinary

Niagara Falls

Frameworks

Men Are From Mars

Top 4 Least Favorites (no order)

Game On - Oh goodness. I loved the music selections, but I’m just wondering what was even trying to happen with this show. Throw-away show IMO. 

15 Minutes of Fame - Yeah I get it, I tried to like this show but I just couldn’t. I liked the Fame concept but it seemed overdone. 

The Great Divide - this show has seemed to be lost in Cavaliers history. This show had no impact points and I couldn’t figure this one out either. 

Secret Society - Again, I tried to like this show. I wanted to like it. This concept could’ve had so many more things done to it to make it wonderful. Not my flavor.

Just some of my personal opinions/flavors. In the end some or most of us are Cavaliers fans and we all love our Green Machine :)

• Like 1

Most of my likings of shows come from the music, and so much of the early to mid 2000’s Cavies shows don’t really do it for me. With that said, my favorites include 

1995 - a classic. I wish they had a better hornline for it, but great show regardless

2008 - musically so cool, loved the exploration they did with unique percussion instruments 

2013 - I love the music book for this. It was another weak hornline from them but doesn’t matter to me

2014 - Probably my all time favorite show from the Cavies. No narration, minimal electronics, and just a pure show that put equal emphasis on music and visual rather than skewing one way. 

2017 - just pure fun. If this is the future of the Cavies, I can’t wait to see more of it 

• Like 4