All time shows: the Cavaliers

I'm younger, so I skew more modern in likes/dislikes.

Favorites:

1. 2006 - Machine - The show that blew me away and hooked me on drum corps. This show was the complete package to me back then.
  2. 2010 - Mad World - Should have won the gold, IMO. A fantastic brass book and intense drill, with a lot of incredible moments throughout. Also got me hooked on Peter Graham stuff.
  3. 2002 - Frameworks - Never got the chance to see it live, but it's obvious how much this show changed the activity for years to come.
  4. 1997 - The Firebird - I'm a huge sucker for Stravinsky, and this is my absolute favorite take on his work on the field.
  5. 2007 - And So It Goes - I didn't think a Billy Joel show would work at all, but this show is incredible. With the beginning Angry Young Man part having some of the craziest drill I've seen in my life.

Least favorites (no particular order):

• 2015 - Game On - This show was just kind of a snoozer for me. Nothing really memorable here.
  • 2009 - The Great Divide - The beginning of the Cavaliers fading into the 7th place area where they lived for a few years. Once Jeff Fiedler left, you could tell a spark was missing from the corps for a little bit. I will say though that their use of Johan de Meij was super clever and there were some good brass moments.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

DCI is a little dry during the off season.  I thought it would be cool to start a weekly thread about what performances we loved and didn't love about each corps.  I am starting with the Cavaliers because I think they are easy to discuss without things getting out of hand or dying quickly.

What are your top 1-5 all time Cavaliers shows?

What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as possible but please please try to keep things positive!

1976 ( what a drumline)

1979 (I have to include this year)

1985 ( the planets, version 1)

1992 (Gavorkna Fanfare)

2006 (Machine)

2016 (propaganda)

• Like 1

Favorite shows:

• 1990 Cavalier Anthems
  • 2000 Niagara Falls
  • 2003 Spin Cycle
  • 2010 Mad World
  • 2016 Propaganda

Love these shows all for the visual execution. The music of Niagara Falls is what makes that show so endearing. Got the honor of playing the opener, Currents, as an encore tune. Spin Cycle is visually impressive, and love how the music grooves. Mad World convinced me to march. And Propaganda was just pure fun all season, especially in the stands for Finals Week.

Honorable Mention:

• 2014 Immortal
  • 2017 Men are from Mars

Could have asked for nothing more in my ageout season. While 2017 was a lot of the same magic that Propaganda had.

Least Favorite:

• 2009 The Great Divide
  • 2012 15 Minutes of Fame

Just some definite design issues for these shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

86, 06, 03, 14,95 in no particular order.  I can'[t remember Niagra Falls but have a short clip on my phone I love.  gotta see tha† show again/.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, littlejaw said:

Favorite shows:

• 1990 Cavalier Anthems
  • 2000 Niagara Falls
  • 2003 Spin Cycle
  • 2010 Mad World
  • 2016 Propaganda

Love these shows all for the visual execution. The music of Niagara Falls is what makes that show so endearing. Got the honor of playing the opener, Currents, as an encore tune. Spin Cycle is visually impressive, and love how the music grooves. Mad World convinced me to march. And Propaganda was just pure fun all season, especially in the stands for Finals Week.

Honorable Mention:

• 2014 Immortal
  • 2017 Men are from Mars

Could have asked for nothing more in my ageout season. While 2017 was a lot of the same magic that Propaganda had.

Least Favorite:

• 2009 The Great Divide
  • 2012 15 Minutes of Fame

Just some definite design issues for these shows.

Yay! I marched one of those shows...

I can't really comment on this thread as I really have so many shows that I love.

I will say that I have grown to really appreciate '98 and '99.

The Traditions for a New Era and Classical Innovations shows were just astounding visual treats, and you could definitely see the ground work being laid for the early 2000s shows.

Edited by jjeffeory

Top 5 in chronological order (My list is basically from 2000 forward, since those are the shows I really know).

2006: Machine was the show that got me into drum corps when I caught it on ESPN. Nothing more to say that's already been said, other than that there is a reason it makes up half of my username.

2007: And So It Goes is such an underrated show,  being sandwiched between 06 and 08, but Billy Joel is such a great soundtrack for the field. Amazing music, fun visuals, this show just rocks!

2008: Samurai was just stunning. Machine introduced me, Samurai made me fall in love. Still my all time favorite drum break, and it's going to take a lot to change that. 

2010: Mad World was the first show I saw rehearsed live (I'm still mad at Mother Nature for raining out the Lisle contest!), and... Wow. I never marched, but this show made me consider talking to my college band teacher and asking him if I could borrow a mello to practice for 2011. Just seeing the dedication to their craft without the performance lights shining, seeing the raw energy and emotion...  I think someone already said this, but this show is the defining LOS show for me. This is the show I show people to introduce them to DCI. Mad World will always have a spot in my heart, right behind Faust for pre-LOS.

2016: Propaganda was what this corps needed and what cemented what will be a very successful future for the corps. It's such an intense, fun, and appealing show. Super easy to get into. Super proud as a fan of this corps to see this follow 2015.

Bottom 3:

2002: Yes, I'm the odd one out who doesn't really like Frameworks. I used to love this show, but after a while, I just got bored with it. I just skip to the drum break to the end when I watch it now. I really hope I refind the spark I had with this show.

2013: I love the music, and the idea of Secret Society. It just doesn't click with me. 

2015: Game On was a sketchy show for me from the beginning, and I feel like this was a huge swing and miss for what they could've done with the theme. 

Edited by FaustianMachine