A Request - Assist in my Article

I am working on a DCW article that looks at drum corps either as a positive or negative venue for people who may suffer from depression.  I started this article because of the tragedy of the Broken Arrow band student that fell to his death from the top of the stadium.  I began to research how the marching arts has or could play a role with people who has/have suffered with diagnosed or undiagnosed depression.  So I am reaching out to the community for your help.  The main question is this, do you or do you know of anyone that suffered with depression and how did the corps play a role.  I am not looking to out anyone, so your comments will be anonymous.  I just want to see if my research on this subject meets up to reality.  We have all heard the myriad of stories of how dc saved people from taking a different road in life and how it changed them.  I am looking for similar stories but with people who were or felt depressed and what dc offed them.

I know this is quite a serious subject and I promise that the focus will be handled delicately.

To that end, if you want to reach out to me, please email me at aldrichthorpe@gmail.com.

Thanks for considering my request.

Edited by Bill_VA
Corrections

Sounds like a fantastic project. I don't have any personal experience with this, but I imagine their may be research available in how arts organizations and arts events can benefit those who suffer from depression.  There has to be music listening and music performance research on this, and maybe there is in the area of visual arts.  I wonder if there are benefits to the competitive aspect of drum corps? Rooting for your team, being a fan, following your team year around, and even donating money or volunteering your time which might be a benefit that makes you feel part of the team. 

• Thanks 1

I think sadness or despair that is the result of events or circumstances in one's life can absolutely benefit, at least in some cases, from engagement in such an activity.  

However, at least in my observation, the kind of clinical depression or other mental disorders that are not the result of events or circumstances but are purely physiological, may not receive much benefit from anything other than medication that counteracts the imbalance in brain chemistry.  After that is restored, I would think that engaging in something like drum corps could help heal from the negative impact of the experience itself.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think sadness or despair that is the result of events or circumstances in one's life can absolutely benefit, at least in some cases, from engagement in such an activity.  

However, at least in my observation, the kind of clinical depression or other mental disorders that are not the result of events or circumstances but are purely physiological, may not receive much benefit from anything other than medication that counteracts the imbalance in brain chemistry.  After that is restored, I would think that engaging in something like drum corps could help heal from the negative impact of the experience itself.

This.