Drum Corps Europe ceases activities

5 hours ago, garfield said:

It will be interesting to find out what the bank balance was when they made the decision.

I'm not convinced it's always about money; there's no evidence that's the case here...yet.

"This year was the last year of a multiannual contract with the Parkstad Limburg Stadium. The contract needs to be renewed, and it is also a year in which we needed to make decisions on several new investments. The question for the DCE board to ask is how we can keep the foundation healthy (in regard to the organisation and the finances) in the short and long term."

This is a direct quote from the official DCE website; so they are oficially stating it is about the money.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stu said:

"This year was the last year of a multiannual contract with the Parkstad Limburg Stadium. The contract needs to be renewed, and it is also a year in which we needed to make decisions on several new investments. The question for the DCE board to ask is how we can keep the foundation healthy (in regard to the organisation and the finances) in the short and long term."

This is a direct quote from the official DCE website; so they are oficially stating it is about the money.

Nothing here suggested the finances at DCE were in trouble, only a concern about maintaining health, which is not to say they are unhealthy.

They are not stating it is about money.  They're saying money is a consideration among others.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:40 PM, garfield said:

I get what you're saying, but is it realistic to think that none of the participant organizations had any inkling that something was imminent?  No one asked any questions or saw any cracks?

Glad to hear the implications are minimal.

I know it seems impossible to believe but.. yes there were supposedly some folks who had a "feeling" but with no concrete reason why. THis really was, in essence, a complete bolt from the blue.

• Like 1

This may be too soon, but... 

Would picking up the pieces of DCE's sudden withdrawal be DCI's chance to expand into Europe??? DCUK would probably be better able (culturally and proximity-wise) to keep things going, but... I dunno... would DCI even be interested? 

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

This may be too soon, but... 

Would picking up the pieces of DCE's sudden withdrawal be DCI's chance to expand into Europe??? DCUK would probably be better able (culturally and proximity-wise) to keep things going, but... I dunno... would DCI even be interested? 

These are all great questions...strike while the fire is still hot...I'm just not sure if DCI member board would want to take this sort of gamble though...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garfield said:

Nothing here suggested the finances at DCE were in trouble, only a concern about maintaining health, which is not to say they are unhealthy.

They are not stating it is about money.  They're saying money is a consideration among others.

I never said money was the ‘only’ reason; I never even said that DCE was already bankrupt and already in extreme dire straits. However, has there ever been any drum corps organization which folded, not morphed into something different like Star into Blast, but folded while still maintaining an excellent cash flow? Nope. On the flip side, is there one common thread within each and every drum corps organization which has ended up folding? Yep; and that commonality is always a financial concern.  Thus my statement stands firm: It is ‘always’ about money.

Stu.. let me explain this to you in terms you may understand....

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. DCE IS/WAS FINANCIALLY SOLVENT.

This was purely about the fact that 3 of the 6 board quit / retired / resigned / and were not replaced. The remaining 3 carried on and burnt out. Nobody stepped up to take their places so they shut it down. End of....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cainan said:

Stu.. let me explain this to you in terms you may understand....

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. DCE IS/WAS FINANCIALLY SOLVENT.

This was purely about the fact that 3 of the 6 board quit / retired / resigned / and were not replaced. The remaining 3 carried on and burnt out. Nobody stepped up to take their places so they shut it down. End of....

Let me explain in terms you may understand.  There are two types of Boards which can exist within an organization, including one that is financially solvent: Sitting and Working.

1) A Sitting Board consists of the wealthiest members of the community; they sit on the Board as a way to bring exposure to the organization and to themselves; they typically have an annual meeting to oversee the general status and that is it; they do no actual day to day work for the organization; the rest of the year they attend galas and fund raisers for the organization; there is a very solid and high yielding revenue stream which pays for organizational administrative staff; any volunteers which are needed occur only at the local level and typically are short stint or one and done; and I cannot say for Europe, but in the United States the Board members on Sitting Boards typically pay big bucks to sit there for that status symbol.  Very few, if any, people from the top to the bottom get burnt-out in these organizations and the organization rarely if ever goes inactive or folds.

2) A Working Board consists of the die-hard very committed; they not only volunteer their time to be on the Board but to also volunteer to do a lot of the grind work without pay as volunteers; these organizations may in fact be financially solvent, but their revenue streams are not enough to pay for full-time administrative staff, thus much if not all of the daily grind work is done by volunteers including the Board members; and due to the high demand for both time and effort these organizations cannot find enough die-hard volunteers to accomplish all of that grind work so many of the dedicated get burnt-out quickly and often times these organizations go inactive or fold.

It is Always about money; Always.

9 hours ago, Liahona said:

These are all great questions...strike while the fire is still hot...I'm just not sure if DCI member board would want to take this sort of gamble though...

Good points.

See "NFL Europe." :)