Full-field tarp?

On 10/22/2017 at 1:02 AM, 84BDsop said:

Presenting their 2017 program, "A Tribute to Pyware"....

saw that this week LOL

It will probably be taken down soon, but:

And here's a completely different use of a large tarp in marching band, also from Saturday, but at the other major event, and liked very much by some viewers but despised by others:

• Like 2

In the second video, regarding the piece that starts on the muted trumpets at 3:50: I recognize that as something that's been done in drum corps, but I can't remember who or when. Late '90s Cavs maybe?

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And here's a completely different use of a large tarp in marching band, also from Saturday, but at the other major event, and liked very much by some viewers but despised by others:

clever way to keep your horn line between the 25s and in front of the front hash, and make it seem like a new age design decision and not just cutting any demand that comes with field coverage.

smart.

To answer N.E. Brigand:

The original field layout for drum corps was a white line around the perimeter of a football field (goal line, back line, the other goal line and front line) plus one line on the 50 from from the back line to the front line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was completely blown away mystified by this show.  Let's just admit right here and now that THIS is the future of DCI.  And I, for one, am probably going to like it a LOT more that the HORSE-HOCKEY that's running around the drum corps field now.

The design of this is exceptional.  From visual GE, to staging, to color pallet changes to utilizing the "backstage" and I will even say execution - I LOVE HEARING REEDS AND WINDS PRESENTED CORRECTLY AND BALANCED - the muted trumpets were beautiful and I appreciated the visual candy of the the "flitting" side-to-side black and white color guard.

And THANK YOU to the audio engineer who kept all that balanced.  I know the stadium live might have been different, but I was not audibly inundated with ANYTHING in that show.  (DCI corps could take some cues from the tasteful fader control, IMO.)

Dang!  I enjoyed that!

I say bring on the full-field tarps, baby!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, garfield said:

I was completely blown away mystified by this show.  Let's just admit right here and now that THIS is the future of DCI.  And I, for one, am probably going to like it a LOT more that the HORSE-HOCKEY that's running around the drum corps field now.

The design of this is exceptional.  From visual GE, to staging, to color pallet changes to utilizing the "backstage" and I will even say execution - I LOVE HEARING REEDS AND WINDS PRESENTED CORRECTLY AND BALANCED - the muted trumpets were beautiful and I appreciated the visual candy of the the "flitting" side-to-side black and white color guard.

And THANK YOU to the audio engineer who kept all that balanced.  I know the stadium live might have been different, but I was not audibly inundated with ANYTHING in that show.  (DCI corps could take some cues from the tasteful fader control, IMO.)

Dang!  I enjoyed that!

In fact we don't need tarps to do what they did.  I didn't catch any synth bass goo either, or is my audio poor?

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Dang!  I enjoyed that!

I am surprised that you, Dublin DCI show sponsor, didn't catch the one major objection with what is done here.

The "walls" do focus the judges' view but this also eliminates the viewing of the show from the cheap seats, backfield bleachers and end zones, crucial cash for shows held at the smaller h.s. stadia like Regiment's Boylan H.S. field. While BOA fills LOS to the rafters and DCI does a fair job of elevating the house, some contests do presume sideline seating. Not everyone who comes to shows can afford the millionaire mile of Friends of DCI, BOA boosters, and fifty yard line specials. So concerned was WGI at Dayton screening out the backsides and putting curtains in areas once used for seating that the ultimate number of spectator seats available is not the same as was first available; yes, I am aware the Dayton Flyers did do renovations on the seating over the years. But even BOA has had its history of restricting how limiting the picture and seating can be. A small school from Jackson, MS used to close off the field to compensate for their tiny unit. Show committees challenged the sale of tickets in areas thus not able to view the performance. Even in DCI this past summer, Bloo angled off corners of the field while putting the Berlin Wall down the middle of the field. Cadets gave us more stained glass imitations than in St. Peter's Basilica again limiting some side viewing. BD's staircases did the same. Not everyone can sit on the 50 even if they have the moolah..

What should/will the balance be?

Your comments about the balance of electronics, sound, and enjoyment are spot on.

Edited by xandandl