Full-field tarp?

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In the second video, regarding the piece that starts on the muted trumpets at 3:50: I recognize that as something that's been done in drum corps, but I can't remember who or when. Late '90s Cavs maybe?

Hah!  I totally guessed it before even watching the video.  That was Lento from Dance Movements by Philip Sparke.  Cavaliers did that in '98 for their 50th anniversary.  (The funky little song they did before that was also from Dance Movements.)  There aren't many muted trumpet features in drum corps history.  :)

Mike

• Like 2

On 10/21/2017 at 6:48 AM, jwillis35 said:

Never know, we might see one of these soon. Most of the time a corps rolls out a tarp I cringe. The only effective tarp I have seen was Blue Devils' use of the wave effect in 2016. There may be one or two more examples that I am forgetting about.  Mostly I find tarps lacking in anything, visual or GE. So I guess if you really want it to be effective you cover the whole field or a large portion of it. 

I've seen Crossmen use them over the years, Troopers last year, and I just find nothing appealing about them. 

To me, what Crown did with the banner that flew over the corps in the 2015 show, or their use of the see-through-silk that they used over the brass, is way more effective for visual and GE. 

BD also used semi-tarps in 1990 for the Tommy show. I thought it was effective back then. But it was not a full field tarp. Just triangles.

Edited by afd

1 hour ago, afd said:

BD also used semi-tarps in 1990 for the "Tommy" show. I thought it was effective back then. But it was not a full field tarp. Just triangles.

I was annoyed at the time that they just marched across the tarps as if they weren't there--they didn't really impact the drill. In that regard, I much preferred how Blue Stars used the house blueprint tarps a few years ago.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was annoyed at the time that they just marched across the tarps as if they weren't there--they didn't really impact the drill. In that regard, I much preferred how Blue Stars used the house blueprint tarps a few years ago.

Agreed. If those tarps represented the various obstacles in a pin ball machine then you have to go around them. That said, I love BD 1990 and that music book is one of my favorites. 

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

Hah!  I totally guessed it before even watching the video.  That was "Lento" from Dance Movements by Philip Sparke.  Cavaliers did that in '98 for their 50th anniversary.  (The funky little song they did before that was also from Dance Movements.)  There aren't many muted trumpet features in drum corps history. 

Thanks!

Plymouth Canton used an almost full field tarp in 2010 and I left jaw-dropped after seeing it. I still can't believe that show missed out on BOA finals that year, placing 13th.

PN29Kkf.jpg

Edited by Chris Rohn
  • Like 1

As always, context is everything. If there is a specific effect that is penitent to the design and it works well than cool but as we often see in DCI, these sorts of things become thoughtless compulsories, the design staff checking a box.  The use of tarps in DCI has not impressed, the above mentioned Tommy tarps I didn’t enjoy for the same reason as the Cadets Big Apple traps, gratuitous window dressing that became a distraction and added nothing to the show. I ended up waiting and watching for the tarps to do something or mean something and other than Hopkins standing on it, nothing. BK in 2016 was tripping all over their trap, as were Troopers this year so they become another sort of  distraction. Bluecoats tarps did nothing for me either. Best use of a tarp was BD 2016 but that wasn’t really a tarp even if it was… it had a point, a purpose that served the theme and an effect

Then we get into the entire visual design scoring of rewarding props /tarps created by the staff, another cheap trick

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'll give it less than 5 years before the field floor is lighted with LEDs in a light-weight material that's run off a single, small Honda generator and programmed from the A&E laptop.

nah, Yamaha will want the monopoly on that too. :laughing:

and Cavies will still be using John Deere.

Edited by xandandl