All time shows: Spirit of Atlanta

I thought it would be cool to start a weekly thread about what performances we loved and didn't love about each corps. 

In honor of Halloween coming up in the next 7 days we will celebrate drum corps favorite spirit...the Spirit of Atlanta.

What are your top 1-5 all time Spirit of Atlanta shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive!

My son is tucked into bed and I just thoroughly enjoyed one night in August so I am starting this thread an hour early.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite...for now.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- right now the favorite is 2012 Bridgemania... it's pretty unanimous.

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for brass band is the favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Edited by ThePlanets

Favorites

1. 1980- after tragically loosing Jim Ott they dedicated the rest of the season to him.  I love the devil went down to Georgia and this whole show. It's amazing to me how in 1980 the brass section can sound so balanced and beautiful in parts of the show and so big dirty and jazzy in other parts without getting too edgy. 

2. 1979- If you haven't watched One night in August I highly recommend it. SOA had a fantastic show in 1979. Their goal was to be on the top 3 and they never have made it to a medal.

3. 1978- the jump from 23 to 6. They hired Jim Ott and Tom Float.

4. 2012- Sin City. I saw this show live at DCI finals and it was one of my favorites of the night. 

5. 2013- speakeasy- I love the dirty southern jazz.

HMs

2009- live in concert. A nice little rock themed show with some good stuff from Kansas. 

Any show with dirty southern jazz.

Least favorite

2016- Georgia...it just didn't do it for me.

Here's to SOA and their fantastic history...may they one day earn a medal and may the show they medal with be full of flutter tounging and plunger mutes...and may they win the Jim Ott award the year they finally get that medal.

• Like 1

1980, peak Spirit, wow! (1979 was good too but 1980 was the better version)

1985 – Concerto in F, introduced that piece to me, one of my favorite shows that year

2003 – Probably liked the idea and their making finals that year better than the show as I have not gone back to watch that show in years. I will say, I thought the tribute flags were hokey and made me roll my eyes but the rest was cool

2012 – Sin City, there were back again. Fun show, complete package

2013  - Speakeasy, more of their 3 year run of quality, entertainment preformed at a high level

Least favorite 2008 and 2009, 2009 had so many issues and missed opportunities   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1980  One of the loudest, best sounding hornlines I have ever heard.

'78, '79, '80.... videos, like videos of corps shows from today, do no justice to these shows. Live is so much better than watching via videos... and the audio/ video reproductions from the 70's/ 80's were absolute pure crapp.... especially compared to todays audio reproduction capabilities,.

In more recent years, 2012, 2013 were SOA shows that were terrific, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Heh. Check out From the Pressbox's look for Halloween.

Just popping in to note that in 1980, Spirit's fourth place finish was just 0.8 behind BD in first place.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Heh. Check out From the Pressbox's look for Halloween.

Just popping in to note that in 1980, Spirit's fourth place finish was just 0.8 behind BD in first place.

Thanks for sharing! What is the smallest gap between 1st and 4th?