Sign the Petition

7 hours ago, DCI Petitioner said:

Dan Potter and Tim Hinton are only listed because they have high visibility, and my goal is to try to bring visibility to the petition. You're correct they have -zero- policy making ability. I knew that from the start.

But since petitions are about applying public pressure to enact change, they are tagged to try to increase pressure. There is basically no reason to tag them except kicking the hornet's nest. 

It's a petition, not a legal complaint. They are not named as defendants. I'll consider taking them off of it though if enough people think it's a distraction.

Fair points... and I have no problem whatsoever with you starting the petition, it's a topic that certainly is important... but I just hope you're not inadvertently muddying the waters here by petitioning some folks who might be wondering why the heck they are named, or angered by that. 

Sometimes a laser works better than a buckshot-loaded shotgun, so to speak.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stu said:

But my argument is that it is in fact 'legal'. And since Gar posted that to him as long as the law is followed, to him DCI should not step in and curtail behavior exhibited by the staff of the member corps as long as they are following the law. I am merely pointing out that to abide by that belief, he must also contend DCI should not step in if a legal situation like this occured.

21 is legal. Therefore while ethically wrong, the people attending are of legal age. Ergo your argument loses 

1 hour ago, DCI Petitioner said:

Narrowed the list of names since it seems that was more distraction than benefit.

Honestly DCI admin and corps directors and their boards should be the target 

10 hours ago, DCI Petitioner said:

It's not enough for one corps to get it right and others to get it wrong. It's also not enough for one corps to fire a problem staffer and that person just works at another corps.

So no. I'm not taking it to one single organization.

Exactly. Anyone that thinks this is about one Corps, or one hire, has been completely misreading and/ or misrespresenting what your petition drive is all about, and why you have not directed this to one Corps. I'm pretty sure 90-95% of the posters on here get that this effort of yours is not a vendetta generated against any one Corps, nor any one Corps Director despite a small handful of posters on here working overtime to caste your petition ( and YOU ! ) in that vein , thus attempting to sabotage it on here right from the get go. That failed, as you were able to come on here and in a civil manner, convincingly persuaded... I would hope most of us... that your petition drive is an honest and sincere attempt to address an issue that many people believe that DCI could do better on. Thank you for your efforts, and in explaining to us why you have initiated this petition drive, and why you intend to send it to DCI themselves. And in your own words. Good luck with your petition, and please keep us informed in a follow up as to what response(s) you receive from DCI with this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

21 is legal. Therefore while ethically wrong, the people attending are of legal age. Ergo your argument loses 

But the NCAA forbids all university athletic staff from taking 21 year old players to those establishments in NV, so my argument that DCI could require the same from corps staff wins. I am just seeking if Gar is ok with DCI not stepping in because it is legal.

Edited by Stu

I really do understand that this is more difficult if you know and like a person who is doing something inappropriate.  I’ve been there. 

A person of authority in a corps I was associated with was having a relationship with a member.  He was asked to resign.  She was not a minor but she was his subordinate, it had bad optics, but I was still upset.  After much thought and contemplation, I realized that it was inappropriate and as much as I liked him, he had to go.  

I believe they are a married couple now. 

• Like 1

Over the years I’ve have had numerous conversations with many others who have shared experiences and/or stories that left me SMH in utter amazement. Pretending there isn’t an issue or ignore inappropriate behavior and abuse as if it’s part of what MM’s signed up for needs to stop. If signing the petition will help increase awareness and/or prevents sexual misconduct then that’s a good thing. 

• Like 3

On 11/3/2017 at 12:39 AM, Stu said:

Please place the following in context with the quoted posts above: There is currently a push to have a DCI show at the new stadium being built for the Raiders in Las Vegas.  Let’s say for the sake of this example that it is going to be a major DCI show like San Antonio, which means that all member corps will compete. And since it is Vegas, the corps might also decide to have a free-day for the performers.  What if many of the corps staff get together and realize that there is something completely legal down the road in the rural parts of NV.  So, as a treat, they take the 21 year-old members to one of 'the ranches', which again is legal in the State of Nevada.  They perform parts of their shows as entertainment and promotion, then they go into the rooms and, um. perform their private shows. Should DCI step in and say NO, not under our watch and banner, and hold the corps directors accountable?  Or, because it is legal, should DCI just turn away and not get involved with the social-policy decisions of the individual corps?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DCI Petitioner said:

Hi,

I basically don't use DCP because it can get really ugly around here and I have better things to do.

I'm anonymous so that I don't get a bunch of personal attacks and bitter remarks thrown at me. 

Taking you on your word that you are motivated not by the desire to harm DCI or any particular corps, but by a strong desire to prevent incidents of abuse, I think some people may have a hard time understanding why you would choose to remain anonymous merely to avoid the inconvenience of some negativity.  

You say you want to effect a change.  I think you would have a much better chance of doing that if you own what you are doing and put your name on it.  Then you have more credibility and a better chance of accomplishing what you say you want to accomplish.

Also, as a number of people in this thread have been personally attacked (such as being accused of not caring about the victims of abuse) for not automatically supporting the petition, expressing doubts or concerns about its effectiveness (which can be a step towards finding a more effective way of solving a problem) and so forth, I wonder if you would care to comment on whether you believe those personal attacks are also wrong.