Sign the Petition

14 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am sorry but I’m appalled, saddened, disheartened and dismayed by this snarky response to a real problem. Hate me if you want. MMs deserve more. But hey, you got two likes so far and maybe more after this. Good on you.

And if I am wrong and this isn’t snark but a legitimate expansion of the petition to include all volunteers to be subjected to background checks, then I applaud your efforts to insure that our MMs have the most reasonable assurance they will be instructed and supported in a safe environment. 

I think his/her point was perhaps to separate the logic of this particular petition approach from the emotion of the particular issue to which it was directed.  

Inability or unwillingness to separate those things has all but prevented rational discussion that might lead to finding the most effective solutions to our concerns about the best interests of the marchers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Whats the WORST that could occur with this petition to DCI ? That DCI discards the petition after conferring with their legal counsel.. that informs DCI they have sufficient policies and procedures on this issue already in place ? Well then, so what ?.. no real harm was done with this petition, now was there ?

But what if it triggers a belief within DCI/ Corps that they can actually do better ? Is that so BAD ? . So whats the real downside here on this petition ? Compared with the potential upside with it, it seems a worthy effort... unless I'm missing something here.

i dont think the petition is a bad thing. i think it helped push for the policies in place to be better policed.

I just dont think to satisfy the angry mobs on DCP they need to publish every little thing

This is not about " DCP".... nor about " Facebook ".... nor about " Reddit ... nor  about what is posted on any other social media. All manner of good, bad, and indifferent postings can be found on anonymous social media outlets. But that is not what is most important here, imo.

This petition drive is essentially between the thousands of people who  ( or will ) sign their real names to the petition and the real names and faces of the current office holders in DCI who will ultimately receive the petition when the originators believe its completed and ready to be delivered. All manner of discussion on social media between anonymous posters on this petition and DCI itself seems ancillary and almost irrelevent as simply background " noise " on the petition to DCI, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

This is not about " DCP".... nor about " Facebook ".... nor about " Reddit ... nor  about what is posted on any other social media. All manner of good, bad, and indifferent postings can be found on anonymous social media outlets. But that is not what is most important here, imo.

This petition drive is essentially between the thousands of people who  ( or will ) sign their real names to the petition and the real names and faces of the current office holders in DCI who will ultimately receive the petition when the originators believe its complated and ready to be delivered. All manner of discussion on social media between anonymous posters seems ancillary and almost irrelevent to the petition to DCI, imo

Brasso: I have said this before, and will repeat it here, folks used to congragate at the barbershop and cuss/discuss the state of affairs from high school football to debating the US Constitution; it is an American tradition; it is healthy for the open freedoms we have in this great nation. Now, in the age of technology, instead of just local barbershops we have blogs and chat rooms open to those beyond the local. The same freedom of openess in discussion is here, but just a different venue. So this type of banter certainly is beneficial to us exercising our open discussions on various matters.

• Like 1

For historical perspective, this Nation initially began with " a petition ".. to King George of England. That incidentally, if Gallup was around and did a "  poll " may not have had majority of support among the citizenry at the time of " the petition " to King George. There are no doubt good and bad " petitions ". Only time itself will tell us if this Petition was needed and/ or worthy. I'm always a little leary however when people work overtime to end " petition ' drives... sometimes even before the ink is dry on the petition itself... which, if we read the 1st page of this thread here, all manner of attacks (  seemingly now unfounded ) were made on the petition organizers, their petition, and their motives for it. I think everybody should just calm down now a bit more, let the petition go forward, and see what comes of it. I'm hoping some ultimate good comes out of it. But... we'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

This petition drive is essentially between the thousands of people who  ( or will ) sign their real names to the petition and the real names and faces of the current office holders in DCI who will ultimately receive the petition when the originators believe its completed and ready to be delivered. All manner of discussion on social media between anonymous posters on this petition and DCI itself seems ancillary and almost irrelevent as simply background " noise " on the petition to DCI, imo

again i said the petition is a good thing. However i dont think the policies need to be published for all to see. There's quite possibly stuff in there that truly isn't for public consumption, and i've yet to find a law that requires it for an issue like this.

But that the petition has heightened awareness within the organization is a good thing. I would imagine it spells how they police it as well. 

• Like 1

The prestigious Berklee School of Music in Boston is apparently not immune to a  " petition " plea demanding that changes take place along these similar lines too. The President of the school said they have fired nearly a dozen faculty members in recent years alone over sexual misconduct. It seems the Berklee School President and School board there have a very low tolerance level for sexual misconduct by staffers with its college aged students. But it appears that many students there are demanding even more be done by their school.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/11/13/silent-protest-planned-at-berklee-after-globe-report-on-sexual-harassment-investigation

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 12:24 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i dont think the petition is a bad thing. i think it helped push for the policies in place to be better policed.

I just dont think to satisfy the angry mobs on DCP they need to publish every little thing

I’m glad that there’s a policy in place(now).  My hope is that it will be fully enforced.  

• Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 3:18 PM, Jeff Ream said:

again i said the petition is a good thing. However i dont think the policies need to be published for all to see. There's quite possibly stuff in there that truly isn't for public consumption, and i've yet to find a law that requires it for an issue like this.

But that the petition has heightened awareness within the organization is a good thing. I would imagine it spells how they police it as well. 

What could possibly be in a policy designed to keep sexual predators from having easy access to Corps members that DCI would not want to be public?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2017 at 9:12 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

What could possibly be in a policy designed to keep sexual predators from having easy access to Corps members that DCI would not want to be public?

there's more to the policy manual than just that