Sign the Petition

Every org I've ever been involved with has a policy addressing this issue.

OP needs to understand who makes decisions in DCI (hint: it's not Dan Potter).

Straw men arguments on this subject are not acceptable.  Present your concerns directly to the BoD of the org you're referencing.

• Like 1

I am not suggesting that the petition should be signed, and but this does seem to be a concern of people involved in the activity. I think in light of lessons learned from the Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church and other religious organizations, the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Clubs, and countless other groups, DCI and its member corps should know the safety of youth has to be paramount. A shared policy of protection of minors and hiring practices stating you do not hire people who would not pass a CORI, have been found guilty of sexual misconduct, have lost teaching certifications due to sexual misconduct or are under investigation is common sense and should be current practices of all corps and having all DCI members agree to such a policy and sign it should not be a problem. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3

The OP's concern can easily be addressed by contacting each drum corps' BoD and asking to see the policy.  Some corps, two I know of, post their policies on their websites.

DCI's mission is NOT to address this, and it's just this type of suggestion on which DCI pushes back very hard.  Of COURSE DCI, and its staff and volunteers, are in favor of the highest standards of assurance that the kids are not harmed.  

But it is the member corps, not DCI, that are responsible for having a policy that they actively follow.  Having DCI, the org, be some watch-dog for social policy is exactly not the type of central control that the member corps want to endow in DCI or its staff.

Each corps survives and thrives on their own, independently.  DCI's role is to organize the tour and promote the activity.  If the OP has a particular concern with a particular corps, it should be addressed first at the corps.  Not on DCP or in DCI.

Either the OP is attempting to create a movement for change of something that's not now a problem, or he/she is too lazy to do the work to contact the corps directly.

This is a black-eye post no matter how it's sliced.  I've never known a more progressive activity than performance art and it's true of DCI as well.

OP,  there's nothing to see.  The petition is for DCi and the member corps to do, WHAT, exactly?  And Dan Potter - what's his role in your contention for change?  

You clearly haven't thought this through and are likely simply a rabble-rouser trying to make smoke where there's no fire.

IMO, and with all due respect.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI's mission is NOT to address this, and it's just this type of suggestion on which DCI pushes back very hard.  Of COURSE DCI, and its staff and volunteers, are in favor of the highest standards of assurance that the kids are not harmed.  

But it is the member corps, not DCI, that are responsible for having a policy that they actively follow.  Having DCI, the org, be some watch-dog for social policy is exactly not the type of central control that the member corps want to endow in DCI or its staff.

Each corps survives and thrives on their own, independently.  DCI's role is to organize the tour and promote the activity.

DCI 'is' the Member Corps. The Member Corps 'are' DCI. And you say that the corps are supposed to be independent of DCI. Well, Okey Dokey.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

DCI 'is' the Member Corps. The Member Corps 'are' DCI. And you say that the corps are supposed to be independent of DCI. Well, Okey Dokey.

The votes in DCI's BoD come from the member corps and at-large members.  The decisions that are the public face of DCI are made by those people.  In that regard, DCI "is" the corps.

They have the ability to ratify the power to police the various social issues that are raised today, and choose not to.  The corps choose to do that themselves.  Just like they handle fundraising, and tour fees, and equipment contracts on a local level.

This isn't the Air Traffic Control system, or a military defense system, or even a social-welfare system.  It's a fraternity of drum corps who choose to use a centralized entity for the tour and general promotion of the activity.

It's pretty straight-forward.  The problem is that many people (possibly the OP, and maybe Stu) don't understand the dynamics of the "governing and promotional body" in Indy.

Edited by garfield

15 hours ago, Stu said:

True, and I want to see if George will acknowledge that corps have in fact 'knowingly' secured a felon sex offender to be on staff to directly work with youth.

You need to be a little more precise though on this, Stu if you are going to accuse someone of being " a felon". Accuracy is paricularly called for in situations such as this. For example, ss reprehensible and inexcuseable as his sexual offense was, he was charged, convicted, sentenced, on a " misdemeanor" charge. In the state of Calif, the crime the jury foud him guilty on was a misdemeanor, not a felony. As such, it is inapprorpriate to refer to him as a " felon ". (I find it hard to defend this guy, but for accuracy sake, its required here, and feel compelled to correct this. ).

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You need to be a little more precise though on this, Stu if you are going to accuse someone of being " a felon". Accuracy is paricularly called for in situations such as this. For example, ss reprehensible and inexcuseable as his sexual offense was, he was charged, convicted, sentenced, on a " misdemeanor" charge. In the state of Calif, the crime the jury foud him guilty on was a misdemeanor, not a felony. As such, it is inapprorpriate to refer to him as a " felon ". (I find it hard to defend this guy, but for accuracy sake, its required here, and feel compelled to correct this. ).

I never named anyone; and if CA law sees sexual offense which is deserving sexual offender registration as merely a misdemeanor that certainly does explain the attitude in Hollywood over the years. So, I will slightly amend and ask George if there has ever been a convicted sex offender 'knowingly' secured by a corps as a staff member who interacts with the youth performers. If not the answer is no; if so the answer is yes.

• Like 1