Sign the Petition

3 hours ago, Stu said:

We have to be very careful not to engage in, or promote, false accusations; innocent people are to be protected from having reputations damaged. But to say that the actual 'corporate policy' must be handled in confidentiality is exactly the type of policy mentality which propeled the Catholic Church into hot water.

Made for a good movie, though.

(No, I'm not saying that the excellence of Spotlight justifies the events that inspired it.)

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCi gets multiple false accusations a year. Some it turns out are people with axes to grind. If DCi released this information, DCI itself could get sued.

I was addressing what you said, which did not mention DCI but seemed to say the accused could automatically make a pile of money in such a situation, which also implies there would be no disincentives strong enough to keep them from pursuing it.

Yes, of course DCI could get sued if they are the ones who publicize such an incident.  Not only by the accused, but also by the victim  and possibly others.  

Edited by skevinp

3 hours ago, Stu said:

We have to be very careful not to engage in, or promote, false accusations; innocent people are to be protected from having reputations damaged. But to say that the actual 'corporate policy' must be handled in confidentiality is exactly the type of policy mentality which propeled the Catholic Church into hot water.

....and they have had nearly 2000 to perfect it.

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCi gets multiple false accusations a year. Some it turns out are people with axes to grind. If DCi released this information, DCI itself could get sued.

The likelihood of DCI getting sued for making accusations public is slim but it would be highly unethical to make accusations public if the accusations are false. In order to sue you would also have to prove DCI made the accusations public to slander the corps or staff involved which would be difficult. 

DCI gets multiple accusations a year? This is a bit surprising and something I would question. First if an accusation is made and it is a minor, it would be criminal and the authorities in the state where the abuse took place, not DCI would determine if the accusation is false. Likewise if the person making the accusation is over 18 and accuses the person of rape, it is not up to DCI to determine the accuracy of the accusation. It has to be turned over to the authorities in the state where it allegedly took place. If the conduct is not criminal, DCI's  only responsibility would be to report it to the corps, but DCI would need to document it. In this case, DCI should not speak about it directly if it turns out the accusation is false, but it is not DCI's responsibility to determine the truth of an accusation.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And none of that is relevant to my position. Of course accusations should stay sealed, and convictions can be looked up in the various public records. I stated that 'the official policy' of the corporation concerning the process of how situations are to be handled should be made public, not the accusations which many turn out to be false.

it doesn't have to be and there's no law that says it should be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I was addressing what you said, which did not mention DCI but seemed to say the accused could automatically make a pile of money in such a situation, which also implies there would be no disincentives strong enough to keep them from pursuing it.

Yes, of course DCI could get sued if they are the ones who publicize such an incident.  Not only by the accused, but also by the victim  and possibly others.  

it has happened where people have been falsely accused, sued and won. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The likelihood of DCI getting sued for making accusations public is slim but it would be highly unethical to make accusations public if the accusations are false. In order to sue you would also have to prove DCI made the accusations public to slander the corps or staff involved which would be difficult. 

DCI gets multiple accusations a year? This is a bit surprising and something I would question. First if an accusation is made and it is a minor, it would be criminal and the authorities in the state where the abuse took place, not DCI would determine if the accusation is false. Likewise if the person making the accusation is over 18 and accuses the person of rape, it is not up to DCI to determine the accuracy of the accusation. It has to be turned over to the authorities in the state where it allegedly took place. If the conduct is not criminal, DCI's  only responsibility would be to report it to the corps, but DCI would need to document it. In this case, DCI should not speak about it directly if it turns out the accusation is false, but it is not DCI's responsibility to determine the truth of an accusation.

not surprising at all actually. in talking with a lawyer friend yesterday, he said for every legit accusation, there's usually an equal number of false accusations. many are axes to grind, spurned affections, and more.so when DCI gets any accusation, per the specifics of their policy manual, of which I don't know the actual wording, they do some investigating. I would imagine as the mother ship, they'd want due diligence on their end in the event a corps was trying to sweep something under the rug.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not surprising at all actually. in talking with a lawyer friend yesterday, he said for every legit accusation, there's usually an equal number of false accusations. many are axes to grind, spurned affections, and more.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/maan/cgi-bin/?page_id=297

Only about 2% of all rape and related sex charges are determined to be false, the same percentage as for other felonies (FBI). So while they do happen, and they are very problematic when they do, people claim that allegations are false far more frequently than they are and far more frequently than for other crimes. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

https://web.stanford.edu/group/maan/cgi-bin/?page_id=297

Only about 2% of all rape and related sex charges are determined to be false, the same percentage as for other felonies (FBI). So while they do happen, and they are very problematic when they do, people claim that allegations are false far more frequently than they are and far more frequently than for other crimes. 

thanks! I'll be sharing that with the lawyer I spoke with. 

• Like 1