Sign the Petition

1 minute ago, Stu said:

According to what you posted earlier is that DCI has decided to not dictate that to the individual corps, but decided that it should be left up to each corps to develop their own policy on the sexual registration matter.

As they have.  Does DCI have a policy requiring corps to develop and follow applicable policies?

And, if so, what is the point of the petition if DCI has such a policy?

Did the OP check whether or not DCI has such a policy?

Just now, garfield said:

As they have.  Does DCI have a policy requiring corps to develop and follow applicable policies?

And, if so, what is the point of the petition if DCI has such a policy?

Did the OP check whether or not DCI has such a policy?

You said that DCI has chosen to not have such a policy. Have you varified that?

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It actually used those general terms, without defining them?  How odd.  Does that mean he cannot pick up his own children from band practice?  Get a masters degree?  Teach an adult education class?

The conviction terms that are part of the public record does not go into the specifics such as this. So I really would not know the answers that would govern all situations. I would tend to believe that both the Sexual Offender and the hiring Employer would know however.

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

But your added belief of the added impetus is your opinion and not included in the petition.  

True.

37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Morally, I'm with Stu.  Legally, I agree with you G.

According to the response I received from an attorney, if DCI is governing units that travel interstate, the governing body of DCI must have an official policy that inforns each unit that they must comply with the laws of the particular State they are traveling. In this case it applies to sexual offender laws. G said that DCI has decided to not have that policy and leave it up to each corps. So how are you in legal agreement with G?

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The conviction terms that are part of the public record does not go into the specifics such as this. So I really would not know the answers that would govern all situations. I would tend to believe that both the Sexual Offender and the hiring Employer would know however.

But does it really say, as you claim, that he in not to "set foot on school grounds"?  We should be very careful with our words, as this is a serious matter.

26 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Funny how people think laws with potentially severe punishments aren't sufficient, but somehow a policy will make all the difference in the world.

Without" a policy" however, is how attorneys representing victims oftentimes get compensated for both themselves and the victims. I see no harm in DCI receiving a petition signed by people. If DCI has all their legal guidance required on this to properly insulate themselves from any legal responsibility  should a second offense occur ( or even a 1st offense from another Corps hire ) then DCI has lost nothing through this petition drive. On the other hand, if DCI decides they need to take some additional pro active policy measures with this, then thats a good thing too, imo. Maybe the person(s) that initiated this petition drive should contact BOTH the hiring DCI Corps AND DCI itself on their concerns. For the record, at the moment, we have no info one way or the other on whether the DCI Corps itself has been contacted with their concerns. Maybe they have. Maybe they havn't. But we really don't know.. or at least, I don't know at the moment anyway. If i was on this petition drive, I would encourage the organizers to contact BOTH  the DCI Corps, and DCI itself regarding their concerns. Protestors need to bring their concerns to the people that can actually make decsions to limit future victims on school grounds.. recognizing full well that no policy, nor law, can ever fully guarantee criminals from not creating additional heinous crimes.

Edited by BRASSO

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

You said that DCI has chosen to not have such a policy. Have you varified that?

No, I did not say that.  Those words didn't even come up until you had a discussion with an "attorney".  I said that DCI has chosen to not issue one, all-encompassing policy to control sexual assault.  You know, the policies that organizations that actually deal with kids, attract them to pay dues to the corps (specifically, not DCI), and take them on the road to sleep in close proximity with adults.

Sure, DCI probably has a policy requiring that all corps have a policy, but DCI is not going to write that policy.