Sign the Petition

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I did not say that.  Those words didn't even come up until you had a discussion with an "attorney".  I said that DCI has chosen to not issue one, all-encompassing policy to control sexual assault.  You know, the policies that organizations that actually deal with kids, attract them to pay dues to the corps (specifically, not DCI), and take them on the road to sleep in close proximity with adults.

Sure, DCI probably has a policy requiring that all corps have a policy, but DCI is not going to write that policy.  

Are we just going to leave it at that, or should there be a policy on whether DCI has a policy on whether the corps have a policy?

Let's just be clear about what the petitioner is asking:

"This petition is for DCI and its Board of Directors to create a set of standards for each corps to meet, to require each corps to submit a plan detailing how they protect their students, for all corps to maintain records of complaints of sexual harassment, misconduct, etc., to make these records available to DCI and other corps, and for DCI to exclude any unit from performing at DCI events that cannot demonstrate how their members are protected."

It is NOT about DCI adopting a policy that corps follow state laws.  It's requiring DCI, the org, to be the writer, reviewer, record-keeper, and monitor for compliance and enforce penalties for non-compliance. 

Heck, the member corps can't even agree on centralized purchasing or who's playing what at finals retreat!  It's not likely that they will agree to either centralize the duties or craft a single policy of action with students that's acceptable to all member corps.

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Let's just be clear about what the petitioner is asking:

"This petition is for DCI and its Board of Directors to create a set of standards for each corps to meet, to require each corps to submit a plan detailing how they protect their students, for all corps to maintain records of complaints of sexual harassment, misconduct, etc., to make these records available to DCI and other corps, and for DCI to exclude any unit from performing at DCI events that cannot demonstrate how their members are protected."

It is NOT about DCI adopting a policy that corps follow state laws.  It's requiring DCI, the org, to be the writer, reviewer, record-keeper, and monitor for compliance and enforce penalties for non-compliance. 

Heck, the member corps can't even agree on centralized purchasing or who's playing what at finals retreat!  It's not likely that they will agree to either centralize the duties or craft a single policy of action with students that's acceptable to all member corps.

this will never happen (not that it should) due to the fact that DCI would then be liable and at risk for the policing/enforcement of such non-compliance - they are not in the position to do so and it will remain that way. As it should.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Now we are getting somewhere, you have not varified the DCI policy. Had to weed through all the rest in order to bold the actual answer to my question.

For someone so adept at parsing words (and inserting others you want included in a quote), you sure missed this one.

Just now, George Dixon said:

this will never happen (not that it should) due to the fact that DCI would then be liable and at risk for the policing/enforcement of such non-compliance - they are not in the position to do so and it will remain that way. As it should.

Further, imagine an attorney looking for settlement money going after an organization that ends every year at zero on their income/expense statement and has no assets.  If DCI had an insurance policy, they'd be a target.  But otherwise, there's no fish in that pond.

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Are we just going to leave it at that, or should there be a policy on whether DCI has a policy on whether the corps have a policy?

A simple official statement by DCI that reads, "All corps participating in DCI events must comply with the State law in which the corps is traveling, and it is up to each corps to abide by this policy". That would be sufficient for the topic at hand and no need for this or any other petition to be given to DCI.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

For someone so adept at parsing words (and inserting others you want included in a quote), you sure missed this one.

Nope, just seeing if you varified it with DCI. You finally said they 'probably' have a policy. That answers my question.

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

But does it really say, as you claim, that he in not to "set foot on school grounds"?  We should be very careful with our words, as this is a serious matter.

Read the conviction terms yourself. its on line. This way, without other's interpretations, you have it yourself. Thats what I did. Thus, when Garfield commented above that " people who have served their time deserve a second chance ", I was able to read the conviction terms to find that his future occupation as a teacher has been permanently revoked by the State of Calif.... in essence, in their judicial opinion, he is not entitled professionally ( as a teacher ) to " a second chance ". The terms of his conviction are that he is barred " from school grounds" ". For your interests in knowing what specific situations he may or may not participate in.. " on school grounds ".. as I said, the conviction terms that I read were not as dispositive with this, so I can not help you understand what is permitted or not.. " on school grounds" for him. As I mentioned, I would imagine both the Offender, and the hiring Employer would know what he is allowed to do...and/ or not do.... " on school grounds ". Where things get even more legally complicated here by the way, is that his " guilty " verdict ( by a Jury ) seems to have possibly been expunged, after a few years of time went by. I can not comment intelligently on what this represents in detail either, as there is very little public documents info available on this for anyone to self educate themselves on that, and what it entails for him moving forward. But yes, words are very important, and I found it most helpful to have actually read the crime he was charged with, the court word for word testimony of both the Plaintiff, Defendant's Attorney ( he himself did not take the witness stand ), initial court documents and the subsequent conviction, sentencing, terms, to be able to discuss at least on a fundamental level what has seemed to have sparked this current petition drive, and its subsequent discussion on this thread. People that are offering up their opinions on this thread, but not having actually read the on line court testimony re. the charges, the court testimony, the conviction, terms, etc are certainly entitled to do so. But its far better a conversation dialogue for me with those when they have already done so. This way, they don't have to ask me questions whose answers can be readily available to themselves with the simple read of the conviction terms itself posted in the court records and easily available to the public on line.

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

DCI is the governing body of the corps engaging in DCI, and by default DCI is thus already partially liable for the actions of the corps under their governance. And as such if DCI has no policy at all about the actions of those corps DCI would be in deep doo-doo if sued. But all DCI needs to do is officially state that all corps under their governance must abide by the State laws in which the corps is traveling through and that would go a long ways in covering damages from a lawsuit.

By the way, answer my question from page one please.