Sign the Petition

2 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I did not post this but I did "like" her post.  The reason I did is because we see this all the time with issues regarding women. Whether it's a sexual harassment case or abortion or birth control.  Men seem to have a lot more to say about these issues than women... it's ironic.

Thank goodness for the "me too" movement that has shed light on sexual harassment as a societal issue. It's a lot bigger than most people imagine.

As for this petition I think it's just looking for a way to better protect the MMs involved in this activity. 

To me the 'reason' that mostly men are engaging in this thread has nothing to do with gender; the 'reason' has everything to do with who typically posts to DCP 'in all threads' is overwhelmingly men.  So mostly men posting in this thread is not odd in relation to all other threads on DCP.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I did not post this but I did "like" her post.  The reason I did is because we see this all the time with issues regarding women. Whether it's a sexual harassment case or abortion or birth control.  Men seem to have a lot more to say about these issues than women... it's ironic.

Thank goodness for the "me too" movement that has shed light on sexual harassment as a societal issue. It's a lot bigger than most people imagine.

As for this petition I think it's just looking for a way to better protect the MMs involved in this activity. 

You guys are so caught up in the details of this particular case that you are missing the big picture.

You beat me to it, Planets! I was about to post the same idea.

I will also point out how incredibly brave the victim of this specific case was in coming forward to report to the authorities what she experienced.  I am sure it was a hard experience having to relive the event over and over to police and prosecutors. She was traumatized and yet she stepped forward. The cold facts of the case don't report her motivation for stepping forward, but I can guess that at least part of the reason was so this person could not get away with this sort of behavior ever again and traumatize other young ladies in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ask Brasso, he is the one claiming his source as the Court Record. All I am doing is attempting to resolve the conflicting posts between MikeD and Brasso.

You said "I would fall on the side of accepting the Court Record as being the official source"....without even looking at it yourself?

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You said "I would fall on the side of accepting the Court Record as being the official source"....without even looking at it yourself?

Note that I did not say I fall on the side of Brasso, he may or may not be telling the truth. But I will fall on the side of the official record even before reading it; which by the way, a link has been posted to that official Court Record for us to get the actual facts.

Edited by Stu

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

My agenda? No one convicted in court in any instances like this or worse should be allowed around kids. I don’t give a flying #### what corps, band, classroom you name it. 

This. 100 percent.

Why any organization that deals with young people would even consider bringing an individual like the one in question on board, in any capacity, is beyond me.

• Like 2

I'm in public education, and am uncomfortable with not having background checks (FBI/State Patrol) done for all chaperones, even if it's for a weekend field trip. 

I don't have kids, but I'd have some tough decisions to make if my kid wanted to march a corps where that doesn't happen with all adults working with my kid. Different for 18+ year olds marching, of course. 

Just my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

This man says it’s disgusting in any form. That people want to give it a pass disgusts me.

and it will blow up on dci eventually 

What actually precipitated to bring this topic back up again?   I seem to recall earlier in the year GH came out of the wood-works and addressed you directly on this topic.  And the actual offender to this crime posted on DCP as well.  Has any new information come to light?...or are we just rehashing this again because of the OP starting this discussion?

I think this is a very valid discussion to have, but one can only wonder do we need to use a specific person to illustrate the larger issue at hand?

I do find the situation appalling and disgusting, so I am in no way trying to give this guy a pass.

Edited by Liahona

55 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

So, after reading all this someone puts up a petition for DCI to have a policy for vetting considering kids are involved and this has somehow turned into a pissing match?  Where is the harm or being somewhat proactive (well not really but all the same)?  Is this a case of methinks you protest too much?  Is there more going on behind the scenes than we know?  The push back on this petition seems weird and misplaced.  Is DCI so sacred it can't have policies?  Strange days we live in.

amen brother.

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, except...

All puffed-up chests full of good intentions for solutions to problems that don't exist.

if you think this isn't a problem in the activity, you need help. It's been glaringly ignored for years. It seems I cant go a month seeing  DFTK post on facebook or an article in a news source about people in teaching positions of any kind getting busted for #### with kids....not all actual physical contact. 

I was once accused of it in my early 20's, and i had no contact with the person outside of rehearsal settings. it almost ruined me at an early age. Luckily, the kids parents realized their kid did it out of spite because they didnt get the instrument they wanted and backed me in my appeal to the school district. The rumor still persisted and followed me for 5-6 years despite being able to give certified and notarized documentation showing i was innocent of the accusation from the school. I wouldnt even attend shows at that school for years to keep my profile low.

• Like 2