Sign the Petition

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Apparently you are referring to the ancient archaic once-only unique 'legend' of the director shooting a DM that occured 50 years ago or more, the he became a director again in 1975. And that is the basis for your 'not true' claim concerning DCI has a problem with murderers amongst corps staff over the past 40 years. If this thread was not so serious I would now be lmao!

Just a slight correction here.... but the man in question was director of that corps before 1975... had been in that position since before the DCI era began. 

• Like 2

While I understand that the subject has been all over the news lately I wasn't expecting to see it on DCP.  I have enough confidence in Don Acheson's ability to run an organization like DCI that I don't think a petition of this type is necessary.   This seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Whatever. You got me - my real name is George Hopkins. Or Charlie Brown - take your pick

And clearly your real name is Jeff "not a lawyer" Ream

Bands/Circuits is not a parallel to the drum corps organization/DCI relationship >> it would be impossible to police/enforce and would be nothing but an ineffective and irresponsible assumption of liability. There are local and federal laws on the books which apply directly to each drum corps organization AND to DCI. DCI isn't a law-enforcement organization, the FBI is.

I’m so glad you can be serious when called on misleading statements. (Insert sarcasm here). Never claimed to be a lawyer either. I have watched you try to play one on DCP though lol. 

And if something happened in a DCI corps, in today’s litigious society think dci wouldn’t get tied to the suit as the sanctioning body?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluesman said:

This seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

If this wasn’t a problem I would agree with you. But that is simply not the case. Which is why there have been so many sign the petition. Most of these issues are ignored, some handled discreetly, and others legally,  all of which makes this a difficult and at times a volatile debate. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bluesman said:

While I understand that the subject has been all over the news lately I wasn't expecting to see it on DCP.  I have enough confidence in Don Acheson's ability to run an organization like DCI that I don't think a petition of this type is necessary.   This seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

The following excerpt from the DCI petition certainly is a problem, and since the NCAA addresses it on their governance level so can DCI:

"There have been, and continue to be, instances of sexual misconduct by staff members with student performers. This can include sexual activities, solicitation of sexual activities, solicitation of sexual photos, etc. This problem is not unique to DCI, but in drum corps the adults and students spend a tremendous amount of time together and the opportunity for misconduct is large."

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

If this wasn’t a problem I would agree with you. But that is simply not the case. Which is why there have been so many sign the petition. Most of these issues are ignored, some handled discreetly, and others legally,  all of which makes this a difficult and at times a volatile debate. 

To me, its importance renders it worthy of reasonable, respectful and rational discussion with the goal of understanding the problems and conceptualizing and facilitating effective solutions.  Unfortunately, that doesn't happen if we focus all our energy on the other people in the discussion instead of on the problem to be solved.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1