Top five personal Crown shows:

Inferno

E=mc2

The Grass is Always Greener

Rach Star

Relentless!

• Like 2

On 11/1/2017 at 7:24 AM, ThePlanets said:

Interesting that someone would dig up the Carolina Crown thread overnight as I have been planning on doing Crown this week for awhile since I will be spending a long weekend in the Charlotte area this weekend.

What are your top 1-5 all time Carolina Crown shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

My favorites in year order

2003 start of the awesome brass

• Like 1

Inferno for me. That was a masterpiece.

Rach Star second. That was just plain fun. 

Favorites (warning - controversy):

1. 2019 - Beneath the Surface. MAN that brass book! The show was captivating from start to finish, I loved the use of bulgarian music and Caroline Shaw, and they had probably the best ballad of all of 2019. The overall idea of the show was executed super well and the visual side of things was amazing, not to mention they had one of the best percussion lines in their history. Severely underrated show in a year of such competition.
  2. 2012 - For the Common Good. This was the first show I ever saw when I heard of DCI. While I never saw a live show until 2016, this was the first show I watched online. The writing was spectacular and I think it's one of the best uses of source music in drum corps history. Mixing Moren's "Dreams" with Fanfare for the Common Man was a great mix. The visual aspect was stunning, with seeming impossible-to-march drill in the opener and the closer's rotating cube and surprise Crown set. Stunning show. 
  3. 2006 - In.trance.it. This show was (arguably) the one that really set Crown on a path to being the crowd-pleasing organization they're known for today. Visually, this show had one of the best uses of field space and not having props helps with that. There are so many different colors and textures by the brass, from enticing to funky to lyrical to powerful, and everything in between. For an 8th place show, this has got to be one of the best shows Crown has put out. 
  4. 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance. I've heard there was controversy behind this show that the original idea got leaked and they had to scrap that and write a new show. Regardless, this show had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Mahler 2 has a special place in my heart and they execute it so well. The Danzon and Nimrod were amazing written and performed, there were a lot of nice visual effects by the members and the guard, and I loved the callback to 2009 where the couple finally gets to be together and they run off the field. 
  5. 2008 - Finis. To summarize this show up in one word, it would be classic. I swear, the designers probably just went to the Top 100 list for classical music and picked every iconic piece out there, but man do they know how to write. I love the fact that I can come back to the show and hear something different every time because they wrote so many easter eggs in the book. If it wasn't Phantom's year, this one would have definitely taken it (and I believe it should have placed higher than 4th).

Honorable Mentions:

• 2004 - Bohemia. To be honest, I am one of those people that doesn't mind singing in drum corps when used effectively. The Seasons of Love was extremely lovely to hear and I think for a 2004 show, it was pretty ahead of its time. 
  • 2017 - It Is. That brass had to be one of the best books every written in the history of drum corps. I think that if the designers were to really hone in on the idea and if the guard was better, it would have won. The singing was a nice touch as well. 

Least Favorite:

• 2018 - Beast. The idea just never caught on with me. I feel like the show itself didn't really flow and overall it was just really flat and boring. The brass was stunning and the percussion was the best it had been up to that point but the overall show design just wasn't it for me. 
  • 2011 - Rach Star. Similar to Beast, this idea just never caught my eye. I like the concept of mixing popular rock songs with classical pieces but it just doesn't click with me. Brass is great as always but I personally feel like they've put out better shows. 

Don't judge me too harshly. I've loved Crown since I heard of drum corps and I always will. Even while I'm currently contracted at Phantom Regiment, my hometown love will never change. 

• Like 3

Most favorite:

2016 Relentless - I think this show was way underrated. The ending change was costly  

2015 - Inferno - should’ve been Gold 

2013- E=MC2

2011 - Rachstar  I just like it  

2014 OOTW - probably their hardest show ever on all fronts .. it struggled to execute  

🤡

• Like 1

2007 - Triple Crown: This was the first time I had gotten to see a live show, at Drums Across the Bluegrass, and the lineup was stellar in my opinion. I got to see Cadets, Phantom, and Crown that year at one show, all will fantastic shows. Crown just blew me away with a fun and energetic show. This will forever be my number one Crown show, and is in my top 5 all time shows.

2009 - The Grass is Always Greener

2016 - Relentless

2013 - e=mc2

2003 - Bellisimo!

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2

Top 3 for me:

1st by a mile: 2016 - Relentless - I just love everything about this show. Music, visuals, guard, it's just the complete package for me.
2nd: 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener - The little celeste moment.... 
3rd: 2017 - It Is - I didn't care for it much at first, but it has grown on me a lot. If it had just a few things tweaked... it could have been so much better.

Other bits and pieces I've loved from Crown over the years:
- 2008's Candide opening - melted me away in person!
- 2007's Wild Horses
- 2005's Angel
- All of 2013/2014

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

2007 - Triple Crown: This was the first time I had gotten to see a live show, at Drums Across the Bluegrass, and the lineup was stellar in my opinion. I got to see Cadets, Phantom, and Crown that year at one show, all will fantastic shows. Crown just blew me away with a fun and energetic show. This will forever be my number one Crown show, and is in my top 5 all time shows.

2009 - The Grass is Always Greener

2016 - Relentless

2013 - e=mc2

2003 - Bellisimo!

Great list!

• Thanks 1

In order (loosely based on how often I get particular melodies stuck in my head from these phenomenal brass books)  

1. 2009: The grass is always greener... [this and Star '93 are my two favorite shows of all time]

2. 2012: For the Common Good

3. 2015: Inferno

4. 2019: Beneath the Surface

5. 2008: Finis

6. 2016: Relentless

7. 2013: E=MC^2

8. 2010: A Se2ond Chance

9. 2007: Triple Crown

10. 2006: In.trance.it

11. 2004: Bohemia!

12 (TIE). 1999: Jekyll & Hyde // 2000: Mask of Zorro

• Like 1