Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

I marched in a huge college band - there is a point where the field gets just too crowded.  Props certainly don't help either.

So, I say , go back to 128 members - the idea was that this would only require 3 busses (less carbon emissions, better for the planet, cheaper for the Corps).    This could also help increase membership of smaller Corps (Pioneer come so mind)

Flame shields up

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

JMO

Discuss.

Also - prop "handlers" should not count against the size limit IMO

Actually I see the opposite.  Keep the present max size, but include prop handlers, equipment handlers and electronics' handlers (i.e. board tech).  Anybody who brings "stuff" onto the field, but who doesn't march should be included in the count.  This would inhibit the use of electronics, unless the corps wished to have less marching members, thus lowering the visual appeal and possibilities.  More is not always better.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched in a huge college band - there is a point where the field gets just too crowded.  Props certainly don't help either.

So, I say , go back to 128 members - the idea was that this would only require 3 busses (less carbon emissions, better for the planet, cheaper for the Corps).    This could also help increase membership of smaller Corps (Pioneer come so mind)

Flame shields up

!70 would be fine. at least ten more horns.  Lets not worry about the busses or personal corps logistics.  Its about the show, the presentation, the sound, that is appealing to the public that are paying to see a good product.  

Larger corps are not the regulators of smaller corps that struggle.  Hundreds of potential corps members do not march at all when they do not make a WC corps

When the rest of the world cleans up their act we will worry about the fourth bus.

Is something broken?  You get 150 and make do.  You mange costs better and drill has more dynamic movement. And increasing size diminishes overall quality if not for one unit then at least for another.  And those corps fighting to recruit and retain have a much more difficult go of it.  Why can't some things just be left alone?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If DCI adopted unlimited numbers of performers on the field, one needs to be prepared for a much wider gulf between the Corps in DCI regarding scores and placements that likely would take place, imo. It would seem likely that if we allowed ( for example ) the upper echelon of DCI ( top 6 or so ) to put on the field unlimited numbers of performers, then many more of the auditioneers that are  annually cut at winter tryouts with these Corps would be on the field. What happens at the moment with many of the auditiioneers that don't make the top 6 Corps ?. Do they go to lower placing Corps ? Nope. Some do, but a lot of them just decide not to march DCI. So... if we are in favor of 180-200, or unlimited numbers of performers that Corps can put on the field, just be prepared that the Top Corps in DCI would  most likely solidify even MORE their placement position at the top in DCI each and every season, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So, I say , go back to 128 members - the idea was that this would only require 3 busses (less carbon emissions, better for the planet, cheaper for the Corps).   

150 is based on current bus capacity for modern-day coaches (53 is common in the busses rented today).

Re: the original post, adding 50 more members would do little to improve the on-field production, and serve to increase the amount of drag for each corps when it comes to moving the members around, getting them fed, communications, etc, etc. Theoretically it would help put another 700-800 people in the stands for Finals night, but aside from that, I'm not sure I see a value for DCI in the increase.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1