Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Always. Huh.

No not always, because not all kids, not even the most privileged, are talented enough to make the cut. However,  If an underprivileged youth has the hands to make the SCV snare line, or the chops to make the Crown horn line, or the physical stamina and artistic form to make the BD guard, the staff will find a way for the kid to march. That I can say with certainty.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

However, MikeD.. this comment of his, seemed to principally revolve around his belief ( shared by me and others from reading their comments ) that increasing the size of Corps from 155 to 180, 200, 300, 400, or open ended numbers, would likely just INCREASE the gulf between the top 6 Corps " at the expense of the lower tier Corps".  I cvould be wrong, but I believe he was referring to " placements " and competition.This comment seemed to be a stand a lone different one regarding creating gulfs in placements, and the 2nd one where  " cleanliness " in his opinion would likely ALSO  be negatively effected too.. he utilized the top Corps as his example of some " cleanliness " issues at Championships in this example. He likewise used as his example, his belief that as the Corps have gone from 128 to the current 155, he has witnessed some level of drop off in ( his words ) " the cleanliness " in the visuals executions. I assume he meant this was not confined to just the non " top 6 "as I read it, anyway.

I don't read it that way, actually....here is the total post...he is saying this about today, not increasing the size,. He doesn't say quality would be diminished...he said that today overall quality IS diminished. Top corps get all the talent. Totally wrong IMO. 

"I thought 128 was best but was fine with 135. At 150, I’ve noticed a drop in cleanliness come finals, they just never get the shows as spotless as they use to. Also, outside of the top 6, the corps overall quality is diminished – the top corps get all the talent at the expense of the mid-trier corps"

Wasn't the G7 proposal, at least in part, an attempt to create "super corps" of larger size, perhaps? 

Or maybe I'm completely off base.

Either way... ducking for cover now... LOL

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I don't read it that way, actually....here is the total post...he is saying this about today, not increasing the size,. He doesn't say quality would be diminished...he said that today overall quality IS diminished. Top corps get all the talent. Totally wrong IMO. 

"I thought 128 was best but was fine with 135. At 150, I’ve noticed a drop in cleanliness come finals, they just never get the shows as spotless as they use to. Also, outside of the top 6, the corps overall quality is diminished – the top corps get all the talent at the expense of the mid-trier corps"

I hear ya... if what I'm seeing among the corps in, say, the 10-17 range is "diminished quality"... I would love to be in a corps of such "diminished quality."  LOL.

The depth and quality of DCI's top division, in terms of talent and performance levels,  has never been better, IMO.  Today's 15th-place corps would have been a rock-solid finalist not too many years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Wasn't the G7 proposal, at least in part, an attempt to create "super corps" of larger size, perhaps? 

Or maybe I'm completely off base.

Either way... ducking for cover now... LOL

What’s really funny is that one of those G7 corps would barely make the cut these days. Karma! 

On 11/5/2017 at 11:32 PM, bluehull said:

In the 60's a huge horn line was 33- 36 horns St. Kevins.. Sac...Chicago Cavaliers, Royalaires..  

The population of the U.S. was 170 million people.. it is now 325 million.  400 marchers on a field would be counter productive, chaotic.  Drum corps has grown proportionately.  it had to !   Will there ever be almost 90 corps like there were in Montreal ?  No..  The larger corps have increased interest and attendance across the tour, and the quality has been commensurate.    A few more marchers will not destroy or save some of the struggling corps, however a better shake from DCI and some collaboration with the strong corps might help somewhat

These are interesting but irrelevant points when you consider the real aspects of managing such a change.  Increasing the allowable corps size would create extreme logistical and other challenges regardless of the any corps' ability to afford and manage.  Additionally, the vast majority of available housing sites would simply not be able to handle the increased numbers.   Acceptable housing is perhaps the biggest challenge to any show promoter.  Just ask anyone who has ever managed an event.  I've done about 50 and in some areas, it's a nightmare.

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

Thankfully.

sometimes. sometimes not

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

What’s really funny is that one of those G7 corps would barely make the cut these days. Karma! 

1 hour ago, joe mama said:

These are interesting but irrelevant points when you consider the real aspects of managing such a change.  Increasing the allowable corps size would create extreme logistical and other challenges regardless of the any corps' ability to afford and manage.  Additionally, the vast majority of available housing sites would simply not be able to handle the increased numbers.   Acceptable housing is perhaps the biggest challenge to any show promoter.  Just ask anyone who has ever managed an event.  I've done about 50 and in some areas, it's a nightmare.

Out of everything I have helped out with over the years, securing housing sites has been the the most difficult by far. And it is getting harder each year.