Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Thats not what cowtown was saying though. He was referring to " clean ". I would tend to agree with him on this. As the size of the Corps get larger, and the shows get more marcher demanding, I too have noticed some glaring marching errors at Championships. Corps from top to bottom are getting "better" but are they as " clean " in drill/ visual precision ? I don't know. Its certainly not a slam dunk that they are " cleaner " visually by Championships as they used to be.

Go back to what many consider the best of the best and watch those old videos.Its nice how sometimes our memories filter .lol I would totally agree with Mike., although like these corps today those bitd were also amazing

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Go back to what many consider the best of the best and watch those old videos.Its nice how sometimes our memories filter .lol I would totally agree with Mike., although like these corps today those bitd were also amazing

Forget those" old videos" ( or even current videos ).. Simply go back and read what Cowtown and I  just said right now here. I don't believe either of us said what you believe we said,... as I read your reply now anyway. Sometimes its how our brains filter was was actually said too. The comments we made was not about what was " amazing ", nor even what was overall " better ". The comment that Cowtown made was about ( his words) " cleanliness " on the visual side by Championships.

Edited by BRASSO

We often hear the terms "clean" and "dirty" tossed about, and you'll have people argue to to whether it's just a throw away term. As I think of shows that are often called "dirty" and not just from this past season, cluttered may be more accurate. The props often get in the way. So if this happens with 150 members, would larger corps make the problem worse? I realize this would be a design issue and that's a risk they'd take with a larger corps, but I feel that150 works well.

However, if there are prop movers on the field during the show, people sound mixing for electronics, etc., they should be considered marching members whether the number is 150, 200, or whatever it happens to be. This would mean sound mixers are not staff. Once the show starts, if you are overage, get in the stands where you belong. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Forget those" old videos" ( or even current videos ).. Simply go back and read what Cowtown and just said right now here. I don't believe either of us said what you believe we said, as I read your reply now anyway. The comments we made was not about what was " amazing ", nor even what was " better ".

No it was about cleaner.  I didn't know we weren't allowed to interject on the comment that although one may be dirty or cleaner or equal that we weren't allowed to comment on the fact that either way they were all quite amazing.

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We often hear the terms "clean" and "dirty" tossed about, and you'll have people argue to to whether it's just a throw away term. As I think of shows that are often called "dirty" and not just from this past season, cluttered may be more accurate. The props often get in the way. So if this happens with 150 members, would larger corps make the problem worse? I realize this would be a design issue and that's a risk they'd take with a larger corps, but I feel that150 works well.

However, if there are prop movers on the field during the show, people sound mixing for electronics, etc., they should be considered marching members whether the number is 150, 200, or whatever it happens to be. This would mean sound mixers are not staff. Once the show starts, if you are overage, get in the stands where you belong. 

Placement ,design, intent all come into play I've seen the bad design with tiny groups and fantastic designs with props for days it all depends .

24 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

No it was about cleaner.  I didn't know we weren't allowed to interject on the comment .

Oh, of course not.  Nobody attempted to stop you.. and you wern't stopped from interjecting on our comments or anybody elses either. The conversation changed to what is overall " better " from " top to bottom ",... but the initial comment we were discussing here was really about " cleanliness " of the shows come Championships, not if these Corps are " better " today  from " top to bottom " than the past and so forth. It was about " cleanliness " of the execution... visually. So do you believe that on the whole the Corps visual executions of the visual demands/ visual patterns are as " clean " and crisp or more " cleaner " than they used to be come Finals ? Or perhaps a little less " clean ", as the marcher demand as escalated ?  Thats what Cowtown here was referring too, I believe... if I read his remarks just above accurately anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Placement ,design, intent all come into play I've seen the bad design with tiny groups and fantastic designs with props for days it all depends .

Of course that bad v fantastic is all just your 'opinion'. Design is purely subjective.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, bluehull said:

Traveling across the country on tour, the realization to me was that there is a core of people that are concerned with scores and placements.  The majority of those in the stands are not. when the final corps performs seventy percent of the crowd leave. I noticed this at well attended shows in Ohio and Florida.   They are there for the entertainment, the color, and the sound.  These are the paying customers...The Academy was a favorite among many, yet did not make top 12.  The extravaganza of it all draws the crowds and the Rose and Harry's of the community.    A few more marching members, volume, and less corps with black uniforms is what casual attendees prefer to see

they also do not see the economics of it all. the casual fan may feel priced out because prices will have to rise to offset the costs associated with more bodies