Besides DCI Championships........

• 1 month later...

Toss up between U.S.Open and World Open for me. Both had a hometown feel and variations in line ups year to year. Regardless the fans got their money’s worth of great drum corps. 

• Like 1

The World Open and VFW Nats are my choice. I marched both in 1971, arguably the best two pre-DCI shows ever, esp the World Open. 1970 VFW Nats was also an amazing show to march.

What is amazing is that the entire 71 WO is available on DVD thanks to the Haas family and drumcorpsvideos.com...I bought the entire show a few years back. 71 VFW Nats have some prelim videos put together by Roy Perez form old films, and posted to Youtube. I also bought a complete DVD of VFW Nats, but the quality is absolutely awful...almost unwatchable (still cool from an "Hey I marched that show" perpective!).

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

The World Open and VFW Nats are my choice. I marched both in 1971, arguably the best two pre-DCI shows ever, esp the World Open. 1970 VFW Nats was also an amazing show to march.

What is amazing is that the entire 71 WO is available on DVD thanks to the Haas family and drumcorpsvideos.com...I bought the entire show a few years back. 71 VFW Nats have some prelim videos put together by Roy Perez form old films, and posted to Youtube. I also bought a complete DVD of VFW Nats, but the quality is absolutely awful...almost unwatchable (still cool from an "Hey I marched that show" perpective!).

Man... I would imagine summer in Dallas in 1971, with those wool cadet uniforms, must have been a bit testy.  LOL.

• Haha 1

I only went to Toledo for Key To The Sea in 1982 when I was on staff with Renegades (NY). Brady Rouse, Bruce McCready and I met George Zingali and chatted with him. Nice show too!

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... I would imagine summer in Dallas in 1971, with those wool cadet uniforms, must have been a bit testy.  LOL.

Oh yes! When we were lined up waiting to go on for prelims, I overheard two of the Cotton Bowl staff chatting, and one told the other it was over 130 degrees on the field. You could see the shimmer of heat at field level .Needless to say, after  prelims they were hung inside out to try and dry out the lining.

Roy Perez has posted video of various corps at prelims on Youtube. He found some old super-8 films and converted them to video, adding some of the show music. VERY cool.

Garfield Cadets 1971 VFW Nats prelims...thanks Roy Perez 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I only went to Toledo for Key To The Sea in 1982 when I was on staff with Renegades (NY). Brady Rouse, Bruce McCready and I met George Zingali and chatted with him. Nice show too!

My junior corps from NJ made the Class A finals at the Key to the Sea show in 1974.... finished 9th out of 10 finalists. Only time in my six years in that corps that we made finals at a show, other than our circuit championship.

It was a pretty solid Class A lineup... Glassmen, Marquis, Seneca Princemen, Charioteers, Cadets of Greece, among others. We were just happy to be on the same field with them at the night show.

And the Open Class finals that year... a great show. Madison Scouts and Anaheim Kingsmen topped the lineup.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It was a pretty solid Class A lineup... Glassmen, Marquis, Seneca Princemen, Charioteers, Cadets of Greece, among others. We were just happy to be on the same field with them at the night show.

That 1974 show... since we were on early we got a chance to see the top groups in Class A, and the corps that impressed me the most was the Charioteers from Alabama.

They were pretty much a clinic on how to program/design for a smaller corps, for that time.  And a great horn line, from what I remember.

Another of those "here for a while, made a splash, and then went away" corps from a bygone era.

Corps would go to U.S. Open that wouldn't or couldn't go to DCI. That made it special, especially for those corps. Was there in 74 - 75 (Sharpsburg Cadets) and you could walk around and see all a lot of the corps rehearsing. Went in back in 76, 78 & 79 (Regiment) and the feel was the same.

After that, I'd give it to DCI Mid-West. At the time, it was the second most prestigious title to win.