All time shows: the Mandarins

Let's hit the west coast this week and discuss a corps coming off their most successful year: the Mandarins.

What are your top 1-5 all time Mandarin shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

I'm not as well versed in Mandarins shows as I want to be, since I don't think I've ever seen a show of theirs I've disliked, though I've only been following since 2009 and don't own any Volume II DVDs from prior to that. I guess my top five would be:

2017 - Inside the Ink

2012 - Prophecy

2013 - Destination America

2016 - Forbidden Forest

2009 - Absolute

• Thanks 1

I am also not as familiar with the Mandarins as I should be.

I do have to say I loved 2017 Inside the Ink. I think that most years it would have made finals but the field was just too good this year.  The design was genius with the ink blots and it was one of the most fun shows to watch for 2017. The hornline sounded great too.

A few months ago I watched their 1997 division III championship show when they did Eric Whitacre's ghost train. They put out a lot of sound for a small corps and their interpretation of the piece was fantastic.

I may edit this later...busy day at work.

• Like 1

These are great surveys, trouble with some of these corps that outside the top 12, it is hard to remember what their shows were. This is more of the fault of DCI perhaps because it seems of late, they only make Top 12 available. Would it be possible to provide some links to their shows for us to review? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ohbaby said:

These are great surveys, trouble with some of these corps that outside the top 12, it is hard to remember what their shows were. This is more of the fault of DCI perhaps because it seems of late, they only make Top 12 available. Would it be possible to provide some links to their shows for us to review? 

A simple search on a very popular media website yielded 2014-2017 and the 1997 show. I do  agree with you about access to shows outside of the top 12 and I think that if anything it does a disservice to these corps.  

The MMs in these corps work really hard too and a lot of their shows are good! If it was easier to access their work it would probably generate more interest in the activity and help the non top 12 corps to be more successful.

I did like the last 3 seasons of the Mandarins shows, all about equally.... ' can't think of any off the top of my head that were my least favorite from before then.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I am aware that non top 12 corps won't get the volume of responses as corps that are regular finalists but I still want to highlight and discuss them.