BOA Finals - Indy - Nov 11

Ahoy from the megabus! Crossing the Skyway en route to tonight's Top 12 at Lucas Oil.

Expecting Broken Arrow, Homestead, and Carmel to advance from today's 30 band semifinals. Who else will advance?

If you want more than 150 on the field, this is a great show to see how The Woodlands or Marion Catholic does it successfully.

BOA allows the entry of the next performing band into the end zone whilst the current band is most often in it's final minute of their show.  I try to not let it distract me. DCI holds the next unit in the tunnels.

I am amazed at the number of writers, guard directors, percussion leaders, and other talents who juggle DCI commitments and high school bands.  Thank you for sharing joy each fall when our DCI summer ends.

5 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

Ahoy from the megabus! Crossing the Skyway en route to tonight's Top 12 at Lucas Oil.

Expecting Broken Arrow, Homestead, and Carmel to advance from today's 30 band semifinals. Who else will advance?

If you want more than 150 on the field, this is a great show to see how The Woodlands or Marion Catholic does it successfully.

BOA allows the entry of the next performing band into the end zone whilst the current band is most often in it's final minute of their show.  I try to not let it distract me. DCI holds the next unit in the tunnels.

I am amazed at the number of writers, guard directors, percussion leaders, and other talents who juggle DCI commitments and high school bands.  Thank you for sharing joy each fall when our DCI summer ends.

It's known as salary and benefits so they can do the not-for-profit gigs known as DCI and non-scholastic WGI units.

An unrelated post,  but I’m thrilled that I get the MBA/BOA nationals with the yearly package. 

I’m so old I was in the Norwin band in ‘82 in Jonhnson City, every one of these semi finalist bands in 2017 is great.

No wonder the drum corps have become so amazing as well, though I know many on this site have an aversion to marching band.

It’s all entertainment.

Edited by cajal
  • Like 1

Been watching BOA off and on today.  LOTS of super big bands.  Of course I love the big sound but I do think the field looks kind of cluttered and the show designs seem simplified to deal with the masses. 

On another note, I have been 100% against tarps on the football field for DCI.  I see them as hazard.  Well, I have to humbly admit that I was ready to dislike O'Fallon's show with the full-field white tarp.  But it turned out to be the most visually entertaining show I have seen all day.  Kind of dirty in places because of no field lines, etc. but completely fascinating and delightful to watch. 

• Like 1

I agree, there are lots of things going on that “purists” will hate, but for entertainment value most of the bands are doing a great job.  

The use of voice and sound clips still bugs me, but it’s no big deal

Edited by cajal
  • Like 1

BA has moments this year which rival top 12 DCI - they have a music hit about 3 minutes in that is fricking amazing 

Here it is in standstill

Avon is amazing this year - the last two minutes "this is our testament" 

The fantastic message of Jay Webb is brilliantly woven into their 2017 program

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu said:

If this thread stays in the DCI WC section it says 'a lot' about Drum Corps and Bands being synonymous. Just saying.

drum corps ARE marching bands

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

It's known as salary and benefits so they can do the not-for-profit gigs known as DCI and non-scholastic WGI units.

exactly - many folks use band work to "fund" their lives and allow the summer for DCI

Currently, the downtown Indy eateries are full to capacity with long lines, as semi finals are done, the stadium cleared, and the doors have reopened for finals. Such a tight schedule!

At Pie Five pizzaria on Washington, the kitchen has run out of marinara sauce!  

• Like 1