Video edits 2017

15 minutes ago, wonker said:

Is it possible that only the sync rights were the issue and that the five shows listed with the 2:00-3:00+ minute cuts will remain complete on the CD's?

It's quite likely, in my opinion, that the CDs include the audio missing from those DVD cuts. Which is some consolation.

21 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

None of this is Tresona's fault. At all.

Ah, they seem to have made themselves the power broker in all this foolishness. The system is broken, and they took advantage of that fact.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which appears to mean that even if a corps wants to only use music that will make it possible for their show to be memorialized on video, there's no way for them to know that in advance. Yes? No?

In short, the problem cannot be solved. Given that, piracy is good.

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah, they seem to have made themselves the power broker in all this foolishness. The system is broken, and they took advantage of that fact.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm an arranger. They made it *much* easier for me to figure out what music I can write for my band, how much it will cost in rights, and how easy it is to get. They cut down my workload substantially, and the whole system is automated. Tresona has saved me, and the bands I write for, a lot of time and money. Tresona doesn't make the law...but they do give us an avenue to follow it correctly.

The fact that Tresona makes a buck off me and my band isn't something that bothers me in the slightest. There's a ton a value in the service they provide. They've also made it easy for me to sell my work to other customers, and for that I thank them.

You don't hate Tresona...you hate existing copyright law. And so do I.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Thanks 2

I hate Tresona...

They've basically inserted themselves into all of this, and it's for their financial gain more than it is for the spirit of protecting content producers.

I'll just hope that the content producers and creators get the lion share of the proceeds, but with many middle men scenarios, that's probably not going to be the case.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I hate Tresona...

They've basically inserted themselves into all of this, and it's for their financial gain more than it is for the spirit of protecting content producers.

I'll just hope that the content producers and creators get the lion share of the proceeds, but with many middle men scenarios, that's probably not going to be the case.

So, you haven't used and do not understand Tresona, do you?

3 hours ago, Kamarag said:

You don't hate Tresona...you hate existing copyright law. And so do I.

Eh, a bit of both. ("Surly to be and surly to rise...") The status quo before Tresona came on the scene might have been unsustainable, but videos of bands and corps were much easier to find and purchase. It might work better for arrangers, but it is not working better for audience members.

(And I wouldn't be shocked if, thirty years down the line, there's some court case that shows that Tresona was wrong the whole time. Not that I blame DCI for not wanting to take that chance.)