Video edits 2017

52 minutes ago, MikeD said:

One reason is video rights are not the purview of the individual corps. 

I feel like a good explanation of this being pinned as some kind of FAQ would go a long way. :D

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah, they seem to have made themselves the power broker in all this foolishness. The system is broken, and they took advantage of that fact.

yup!

The composers and song writers who say no to requests for sync rights are the ones losing out, I think.  I get it about the integrity of your art, and respect it, but drum corps has introduced many artists to me which has led to many a purchased album.  I don't blame DCI or Tresona... I think the writers/composers are being unwise in their insistence on artistic purity at the expense of their pocketbooks.  

Then again, there are principles that I wouldn't budge on too... so I guess it's just an unfortunate, unavoidable situation.  

The only way I see to avoid is if the corps themselves, while in the show design process, check beforehand to see if DCI would be able to get sync and mechanical rights BEFORE they put it in the show.  Then later, when DCI goes to get those rights, they will have success.  

14 hours ago, Ediker said:

Agreed.  Though it would create an arms race for musical score writers.  BD would have someone like John Williams cook something up each year!

This is the common criticism of this idea, and it's not wrong. But consider this: no corps plays music verbatim anyways, and even after someone (super talented) has arranged it, staff (other than arrangers/composers) make tweaks literally all season. We're at the point now where you don't even need an actual musical score by all days - just a framework that can be adjusted throughout the season.

You'd eventually just get decent composers and great tweakers (wrong word?) evolving within the drum corps activity, just like we have great visual techs and designers that have evolved over time.

Also with the rise of electronic music composers who can literally put together a 20 minute musical program in a few hours, combined with the rise in transcription software, writing an all original musical framework doesn't feel difficult at all anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with checking for permissions beforehand are that the process moves slower than the corps design teams.  It took DCI this long to hear back on Wicked Games for Boston.  If Boston had submitted it in January, then found out in April that the centerpiece of their show (and advertising) would be unavailable... then what?  Start over?  Or go like Madison did with ESOM and just put out a little white lie all summer? 

I think the only two real solutions are program more than a season ahead or go with material that you already know is "safe."  The corps have weighed this, though, and have determined live performance trumps recordings.  Good for the 90 days in the summer, bad for the literally decades afterwards.

Mike

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

The composers and song writers who say no to requests for sync rights are the ones losing out, I think. 

My question is this:  are the edits this year and in previous years due to the composers, songwriters, and publishers saying "NO" to the requests from DCI, or are they saying "yes" but the cost is just too high for DCI to afford and DCI makes the decision to cut due to that.  I have a feeling its more the costs are too high than DCI getting "no" answers...

It would be interesting to know this, because you could then see the composers and publishers who are charging astronomical fees for syncing their music to video.  I imagine DCI is not allowed to publish this, but it would be interesting...

I too am glad that at least the CD's appear that they will have most of the shows in full

I know that we are discussing the act of omitting material based on copyright laws now but I wanted to reiterate that wicked game has been cut from the performance titled wicked game

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Literally one of the very few fantastic uses of a vocalist ever in the marching arts... How dare they...

That, and the beginning (Fly to Paradise) to Crossmen's show in 2015.

• Like 2