Video edits 2017

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I'm surprised more corps did not have edits to their show. I'm not surprised with BAC and I think if not predicted last summer, many thought it would never make the final edit which is too bad since it was such a powerful moment and so well done. I half expected Cadets to have some issues since the Leonard Bernstein Foundation can be rather picky as many both inside and outside the drum corps world know (ask local theater and high school drama groups for their experiences). I was certain Crown would have issues.

My guess is the Cadets may have included the rights in whatever master contract they had with the Bernstein estate, since you are correct, it should not be easy to get permission from the estate in general.. 

I just want to thank everyone participating in this thread.  One of the most enlightening and informative threads I've seen on here in a while.  Lots of good info and I think every question I've had about the issue has been addressed.  This is what I come to DCP looking for.  Kudos.

• Like 2

Tresona are copyright trolls but if not them, then someone else. They had some relationship with providing a streaming marching band service that seemed a bit dodgy when connected with the service they offer but whatever, vertical integration. There are all sorts of rights for all sorts of media and those rights can be pulled after the fact. I believe for Regiment 2008, the composer didn’t like the final product so pulled the rights after the season and for Madison, at some point during the year ESOM sold an exclusive of the rights for 1 year to Allstate for an ad campaign (I wonder if they could go back and secure them now).

In the way back past, DCI didn’t worry about rights then I believe they were doing them incorrectly plus the delivery of media have changed more quickly than the laws to protect it which is where we get a lot of ambiguity.

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They definitely did in the case of "Empire State of Mind"--otherwise they wouldn't have known the rights were in jeopardy all summer long, when they kept not showing the video of that portion of Madison's show.

In that case, Madison (not DCI) was actually told before the tour, as an ad company had purchased exclusive national rights to the song for a commercial.  Their director even said they had a choice to make about whether to keep it or not, and they decided to sacrifice the video in favor of the live fans.  That and the Phantom kerfluffle in 2008 were really outliers, but should have been seen as warning signs.  I have no written smoking gun to reference, but the big legal fight in 2013 or 14 (sorry, can't remember) did mention a history of DCI's past history of not securing rights for the media products, as I recall.

Mike

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

So start months earlier?

still no guarantee. 

Obviously I'm coming from the camp of "corps should write their own music", but for the sake of discussion, can someone explain t me the benefit of playing someone else's music? The majority of corps don't even play an entire piece, and every corps that does license music still arranges it for drum corps. Is recognizable music just more accessible to audiences and judges, or is there something more I'm missing?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Is recognizable music just more accessible to audiences and judges, or is there something more I'm missing?

Cavies did OK with unrecognizable music in the early 2000's with the judges and fans.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Cavies did OK with unrecognizable music in the early 2000's with the judges and fans.

Were you looking for the term " original Compositions"( developed and written by the Brass arranger of the Cavaliers exclusively for the Cavaliers ) ?,  or did you really mean here what you typed, ie.... the Cavs played  " unrecognizable music "  these years ?. The reason I asked Ghost, is that " unrecognizable music " can mean didn't things to different people, and usually is dependent on their familiarity or lack thereof with the composer and/ or their works, or the genre of the music itself. " Original Music " written exclusively for a group,  by contrast, is " unrecognizable music " to all but the composer themselves until put into practice or performance. Its no biggee, but wanted to clarify what you probably really meant to say.

I believe the Cavaliers were utilizing some " original Compositions " on occasion in this time frame, if I recall correctly.

Edited by BRASSO