Where To Find Videos?

I am trying to watch every top 12 drum corps show since 1972, but I have no clue where to find all of these shows. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to find all of these shows?

26 minutes ago, grh_20 said:

I am trying to watch every top 12 drum corps show since 1972, but I have no clue where to find all of these shows. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to find all of these shows?

Buy the legacy edition.

• Like 3

I don't think I'm breaking the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy when I say YouTube.  Everything in the world is pretty much on YouTube. 

(You can't get most of the Legacy DVD's anymore, Stu.  DCI didn't renew the sync rights to keep producing them.)

Mike

25 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

I lucked out and found the entire collection at my local library.

To double on this one, I know my old music library in college (separate from the main library) had every Finals DVD. Not sure if that's all colleges, and I haven't actually been to mine in a decade, so things could have changed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeN said:

I don't think I'm breaking the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy when I say YouTube.  Everything in the world is pretty much on YouTube. 

(You can't get most of the Legacy DVD's anymore, Stu.  DCI didn't renew the sync rights to keep producing them.)

Mike

YouTube: on the free to you site the money from adverts pay for royalties; on the subscription Red site you pay for royalties.

Legacy: that just indicates DCI was likely either a) not seeking permissions back in the day b) not securing permissions for archived product when they began to sell the collection or c) the law changed to prevent further sale.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Legacy: that just indicates DCI was likely either a) not seeking permissions back in the day b) not securing permissions for archived product when they began to sell the collection or c) the law changed to prevent further sale.

This is true. I do not dispute the reason(s) why it's not available.

However, and I just went and checked, and as of today 1/3 of the years (81, 86, 87, 89, 90, 94, 96, 98, 99) of Legacy DVD's aren't available for sale anymore.  This will increase as other years remaining inventory is sold. So, not a viable strategy for someone wanting to watch DCI's back catalogue.

Mike

1 hour ago, Stu said:

YouTube: on the free to you site the money from adverts pay for royalties; on the subscription Red site you pay for royalties.

So if someone wants to watch the video of a 1980s performance, and finds that they cannot buy it, but sees that it's on Youtube, is your position that one shouldn't watch it there?

Remember a month or two back when you gave me a hard time about daring to claim that the rotating pyramid move in Crown's 2013 show was the greatest of all drill moves? Your response, in part, was that this claim implied some ignorance about the great moves of previous decades. Would you agree that the system now in place encourages such ignorance?

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if someone wants to watch the video of a 1980s performance, and finds that they cannot buy it, but sees that it's on Youtube, is your position that one shouldn't watch it there?

Remember a month or two back when you gave me a hard time about daring to claim that the rotating pyramid move in Crown's 2013 show was the greatest of all drill moves? Your response, in part, was that this claim implied some ignorance about the great moves of previous decades. Would you agree that the system now in place encourages such ignorance?

YouTube: a) It is up to the copyright owner to either leave an uploaded video there or ask for its removal; b) adverts on  regular YouTube, and fees paid for YT Red, both use that revenue to go toward royalties for copyrighted videos uploaded on YouTube by the copyright holders; and c) watching on YouTube is fine, however uploading or ripping a copyrighted video from YouTube without express consent from the copyright holder is not fine it is illegal.

Edited by Stu

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

This is true. I do not dispute the reason(s) why it's not available.

However, and I just went and checked, and as of today 1/3 of the years (81, 86, 87, 89, 90, 94, 96, 98, 99) of Legacy DVD's aren't available for sale anymore.  This will increase as other years remaining inventory is sold. So, not a viable strategy for someone wanting to watch DCI's back catalogue.

Mike

Oh well, us buying them and watching them is just a privilege; one that can be taken away by the copyright owner; and not a 'right' that we have to own or watch them.