What would happen if a corps said, f it i am going old school

Every year around this time a bunch of us FMM get together for some good bbq and beverages. WE talk about the times we marched together etc. LOL Usually a fun topic comes up as it did today.

What if a corps,  say Cadets decided to say, screw it, we are gonna do 1987 App spring as originally done. Devils say, ya know what, we are gonna do 1982 One More Time show. Madison says 1988, bring it to us. How would that score today????? No flash, just old school drum corps. If perfected would these shows score with current corps.  It would be interesting if a corps went this direction and just said screw it, I know it is never gonna happen, was just a fun topic that came up.

It would be like riding a horse.

Nice, energetic, and strong for its time. But today in a world of nano-seconds and interstellar communications, it would just be nostalgia. Like riding a horse through the park on a Sunday afternoon, an interesting entertainment, nothing more.

• Like 1

They wouldn't score well.  Its all about layers and contrast and a show working on multiple levels now.

These shows were way too straight forward for today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

They wouldn't score well.  Its all about layers and contrast and a show working on multiple levels now.

These shows were way too straight forward for today.

I am just playing devils advocate, I know it would not work, but it would be interesting to see a corps say screw it, we are bucking the system. the reaction would be interesting is all we brought up while having a few to many guiness lol

• Like 1

Just now, oldcadetsop said:

I am just playing devils advocate, I know it would not work, but it would be interesting to see a corps say screw it, we are bucking the system. the reaction would be interesting is all we brought up while having a few to many guiness lol

btw mr 93, we watched ur 93 show tonite, always blows my mind. have a few friends that marched that year. one of my fav Cadets shows.

FHNSAB

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

Jersey Surf!!!!

5 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

What if a corps,  say Cadets decided to say, screw it, we are gonna do 1987 App spring as originally done. Devils say, ya know what, we are gonna do 1982 One More Time show. Madison says 1988, bring it to us. How would that score today????? No flash, just old school drum corps. If perfected would these shows score with current corps.  It would be interesting if a corps went this direction and just said screw it, I know it is never gonna happen, was just a fun topic that came up.

Why stop at the 80s? Why not do a show as in the 1950s style, with, say, no pit and no contras?

• Sad 1

(I'm not entirely joking, by the way. Who says a corps has to always use every possible element? Lots of corps don't use cymbal lines. A few do. Why not play around similarly with the composition of the rest of the ensemble? A year without snare drums, or trumpets, or mallets? Experiment!)