What goes around comes around

Wait a minute! What's going on here? This is 2002, 16 years ago. The Cadets are presenting a "story" show, while wearing their iconic world-famous Cadet uniforms. The uniforms seem to enhance rather than detract from the story being told on the field. The color guard is not only marching up a storm, but they're dancing all over the place, and they're totally integrated with the corps throughout the show. Look at that innovative color guard program, and the mind-boggling use of equipment. The audience is going wild for them. Screaming ovations again, and again, and again throughout their show. Look at the way the entire corps knows how to march a close-to flawless program. Holy cow...that's not supposed to be happening! Were horn lines supposed to be that good and that multi-dimensional in the past? Isn't that what judges are looking for now in 2018? Isn't this what modern-era drum corps is supposed to be all about? Maybe that's what The Cadets should be doing: reviving all their great shows from the past that aren't supposed to work anymore. Did someone screw up the drum corps calendars? Things weren't supposed to be that good back then. Maybe we should rethink what we're doing and where we're going now, because where we're coming from looks to me like it was pretty #### great.

Maybe many of the people now clamoring for a "new direction" just aren't old enough to have seen what GREAT DRUM CORPS was really like?

THE CADET SHOW BEING REFERENCED IS THEIR 2002 SHOW, AN AMERICAN REVIVAL.

Edited by onceuponatime
clarification

8 hours ago, onceuponatime said:

Look at the way the entire corps knows how to march a close-to flawless program. Holy cow...that's not supposed to be happening! 

The 2 different judges that judged the " how to march " that 2002 Cadets program  however( in Semi's and Finals) did not agree with you on the " how to march " part. The 2002 Cadets finished 4th in both the Semi's and the Finals in " Visual Performance ". This effectively took them out of any chance of winning, but did allow them to medal at 3rd. Like you however, I really did enjoy that 2002 Cadets show that season from them.... and a lot too. And you are correct that based upon the visible reaction of audience responses we have from that season,  ( as well as my own personal experiences at the shows I attended in '02 ) most audiences absolutely loved that show from the Cadets that 2002 season too,.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

*I'm* clamoring for a new direction.  And the Cadets have had great drum corps much more recently than 2002.

Mike

True. The Cadets won a DCI Title as recently as 2011,.  Since then,  The Cadets, in their quest for " a new direction ", have had wholesale changes in  instrumentation,  instructional staffs, show designs, uniforms, acoustics, etc since then.  Most Corps have as well. None of the Corps look nor sound like they did in 2002, as things have changed so much throughout the entire activity since 2002.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Cadets have had a number of excellent shows since 2002. 2011 is an obvious example. I love what Cadets did in 2013. To me that was sheer drum corps power pure and simple. As a history buff I appreciated 2014 and loved the Copland arrangements and with the holidays around the corner I have to say I loved the 2012 Christmas show. I did find 2010 (Toy Soldier) a bit sappy, but it had great musical selections and if "Little Geoffrey" has been an actual ten year old, I probably would have found it endearing as I did Blue Devils in 2015 when they used a young girls st the end of their show. While I am not thrilled with some more recent creative directions, I don't recall people sitting on their hands in 2016 and "Pines Along the Appian Way" was loved that year and 2017 whether I enjoyed it or not will probably become a future cult classic with some fans, not unlike SCV in 1980. Cadets do need to regain lost ground, which given a stronger BAC and Cavies, along with Bloo, SCV, and Crown who want to be part of the action, and BD's dominance will not be easy, but it's not impossible either, and they medaled as recently as 2014, so they don't need to go as far back as 2002.

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

Today I learned 2002 is "old drum corps".

Yes. And in 2030, the shows of today, with today's marchers, will be considered " old, boring and unfullfilling " Drum Corps to the next generation of marchers/ fans when all the marchers of today will all still be in their mid 30's then.  Oh well, time "marches " on too... lol

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1