What goes around comes around

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

From what I recall, there are at least a couple members of the Maryland Drum Corps Hall of Fame who were involved with fife and drum corps, and not drum and bugle corps, their entire marching careers. And at least one group... Monumental City... is still alive and well in the Baltimore area.

About ten years ago I visited Colonial Williamsburg shortly before Memorial Day and after the parade that closes the day, members of the fife and drum corps were having a going away party for two members who were leaving to march with a drum corps. I don't know which corps they left to march with, but the connection is still there. Williamsburg has a phenomenal program for kids. Years ago, the marchers actually took on the personas of children who grew up in Williamsburg during the colonial era. They used to introduce themselves by their name and mention the father's occupation. They'd explain their role and the purpose of the corps. I'm not sure they do that any more once Williamsburg  started "The Revolutionary City" narratives, but those kids can march: perfect formations, always in step, perfect 18th century stature, all while tourists interfere with cameras, etc., not to mention following the horse that carries the Paul Revere like character who announces what happened to the people of a"Boston Town" and nearby Lexington and Concord.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tim K said:

About ten years ago I visited Colonial Williamsburg shortly before Memorial Day and after the parade that closes the day, members of the fife and drum corps were having a going away party for two members who were leaving to march with a drum corps. I don't know which corps they left to march with, but the connection is still there. Williamsburg has a phenomenal program for kids. Years ago, the marchers actually took on the personas of children who grew up in Williamsburg during the colonial era. They used to introduce themselves by their name and mention the father's occupation. They'd explain their role and the purpose of the corps. I'm not sure they do that any more once Williamsburg  started "The Revolutionary City" narratives, but those kids can march: perfect formations, always in step, perfect 18th century stature, all while tourists interfere with cameras, etc., not to mention following the horse that carries the Paul Revere like character who announces what happened to the people of a"Boston Town" and nearby Lexington and Concord.

My grandfather''s sister retired from govt. work years ago and lived in part of the restoration behind Fraunces Tavern there at Colonial Williamsburg.  She made the agreement with the Foundation to be a docent in compensation for living for free in Colonial Williamsburg. She had the agreement in perpetuity and lived actively till her 90's. We visited Colonial Williamsburg several times to see her at her new home. This allowed me an appreciation of several Virginians who came to the Garfield Cadets in the legacy years both those who attended William & Mary and those who marched in the fife and drum corps at the Restoration.  Good folks all, although the jokes were abundant about their powdered wigs under their shakos.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, xandandl said:

My grandfather''s sister retired from govt. work years ago and lived in part of the restoration behind Fraunces Tavern there at Colonial Williamsburg.  She made the agreement with the Foundation to be a docent in compensation for living for free in Colonial Williamsburg. She had the agreement in perpetuity and lived actively till her 90's. We visited Colonial Williamsburg several times to see her at her new home. This allowed me an appreciation of several Virginians who came to the Garfield Cadets in the legacy years both those who attended William & Mary and those who marched in the fife and drum corps at the Restoration.  Good folks all, although the jokes were abundant about their powdered wigs under their shakos.

Cool story, X.... I love history, and have been to Colonial Williamsburg a few times. Wonderful area... and the College of William & Mary has a beautiful campus. 

On 11/28/2017 at 2:31 AM, onceuponatime said:

Wait a minute! What's going on here? This is 2002, 16 years ago. The Cadets are presenting a "story" show, while wearing their iconic world-famous Cadet uniforms. The uniforms seem to enhance rather than detract from the story being told on the field. The color guard is not only marching up a storm, but they're dancing all over the place, and they're totally integrated with the corps throughout the show. Look at that innovative color guard program, and the mind-boggling use of equipment. The audience is going wild for them. Screaming ovations again, and again, and again throughout their show. Look at the way the entire corps knows how to march a close-to flawless program. Holy cow...that's not supposed to be happening! Were horn lines supposed to be that good and that multi-dimensional in the past? Isn't that what judges are looking for now in 2018? Isn't this what modern-era drum corps is supposed to be all about? Maybe that's what The Cadets should be doing: reviving all their great shows from the past that aren't supposed to work anymore. Did someone screw up the drum corps calendars? Things weren't supposed to be that good back then. Maybe we should rethink what we're doing and where we're going now, because where we're coming from looks to me like it was pretty #### great.

Maybe many of the people now clamoring for a "new direction" just aren't old enough to have seen what GREAT DRUM CORPS was really like?

THE CADET SHOW BEING REFERENCED IS THEIR 2002 SHOW, AN AMERICAN REVIVAL.

Right after I made this post I realized what a terrible job I had done in trying to make my point. I attempted to first edit (unsuccessful) and then delete (also unsuccessful). In the original post I wasn't attempting to get a read on who did or did not like The Cadets' 2002 show. The point I was attempting to make, and failed so miserably in doing, was to suggest, as the title of the post indicated, that "what goes around comes around." Admittedly the post title is pretty vague and in retrospect not a good title choice.

I am not going to proceed with this topic because I do not believe that anything constructive could be gained by doing so. Things will play themselves out without the need to go head to head with others with strongly differing viewpoints. 

Again, please accept my apologies for wasting everyone's time. I wish you well as you move forward with your discussions.

With getting Shane Gwaltney involved in the design team you should see a very different direction (in a positive way) for the Cadets this season.

53 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

With getting Shane Gwaltney involved in the design team you should see a very different direction (in a positive way) for the Cadets this season.

How does one person on a design team "getting involved",  have that much influence on a program,  so as to have supporters (I assume you are a supporter) proclaim "you should see a very different direction for the Cadets this season".  It seems there are a few strong individuals on the Cadets team that would be fairly influencial,  particularly one who heads the whole thing up who sees himself as the head design person determining the direction of the Cadets.  Not that they wouldn't modify their direction, I just don't see any one person (new to this design team as well?)  as one who tips the scales in that regard.

59 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

How does one person on a design team "getting involved",  have that much influence on a program,  so as to have supporters (I assume you are a supporter) proclaim "you should see a very different direction for the Cadets this season".  It seems there are a few strong individuals on the Cadets team that would be fairly influencial,  particularly one who heads the whole thing up who sees himself as the head design person determining the direction of the Cadets.  Not that they wouldn't modify their direction, I just don't see any one person (new to this design team as well?)  as one who tips the scales in that regard.

It can influence in many different ways depending on their influence on other staff, members or potential members. One person can start a new ball rolling. Don't have to look far to see how that has happened in the past, even the long ago past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Shane's approach if you follow WGI and Music City Mystique is very outside of the normal Hop driven Cadets box. I can't imagine he signed on to do more of the same old same old we've seen the last few years that has been ripped apart here and on the sheets. And, if not going in a direction he likes...or ya know someone stepping on his toes all the time, I could see him walking

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Shane's,,,.or ya know someone stepping on his toes all the time, I could see him walking

Others who have worked with SG in WGI world have commented similarly. So let's enjoy his presence and insight while he is here.