What goes around comes around

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

And in 2030, the shows of today, with today's marchers, will be considered " old, boring and unfullfilling " Drum Corps to the next generation of marchers when all the marchers of today will all still be in their mid 30's then.  Oh well, time "marches " on too... lol

Stop the sentimentality which only canonizes oneself and one's own experience as shown in the thread premise and responses.

Drum corps will have ceased to have existed certainly by 2030, probably far, far sooner. 

Science will have made humans no longer essential to life. AI (artificial intelligence) the likes of what destroyed the DCI website last night will rule the galaxies. Mere humans will no longer be able to know what units will be competing where or when unless the computer geeks with their gnosticism grant permission, and then only if one exists in the Midwest (surging and rising tides will have destroyed both coasts.) Without ticket monies/bitcoin/ability to barter and other financial means, drum corps will cease to exist as Yamaha and colleagues design instruments of mass destruction which shatter glass ceilings in domes in Detroit, Atlanta, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Minneapolis, and Syracuse far beyond what anti-electronics Dinos ever imagined. Flutists will rule the world and the competitive field of nuclear waste and other props. Not even burying oneself under mountains of Cesario fabrics and DeMoolah's anti-attack outfits garbed by Stan Berry will save one from such annihilation.

Usually change is supposed to make the situation better, otherwise it is shear novelty. Like show design change and DCI website changes, the activity is doomed to decimation.

Thus endeth the rant.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Stop the sentimentality which only canonizes oneself and one's own experience as shown in the thread premise and responses.

Drum corps will have ceased to have existed certainly by 2030, probably far, far sooner. 

Science will have made humans no longer essential to life. AI (artificial intelligence) the likes of what destroyed the DCI website last night will rule the galaxies. Mere humans will no longer be able to know what units will be competing where or when unless the computer geeks with their gnosticism grant permission, and then only if one exists in the Midwest (surging and rising tides will have destroyed both coasts.) Without ticket monies/bitcoin/ability to barter and other financial means, drum corps will cease to exist as Yamaha and colleagues design instruments of mass destruction which shatter glass ceilings in domes in Detroit, Atlanta, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Minneapolis, and Syracuse far beyond what anti-electronics Dinos ever imagined. Flutists will rule the world and the competitive field of nuclear waste and other props. Not even burying oneself under mountains of Cesario fabrics and DeMoolah's anti-attack outfits garbed by Stan Berry will save one from such annihilation.

Usually change is supposed to make the situation better, otherwise it is shear novelty. Like show design change and DCI website changes, the activity is doomed to decimation.

Whoa.. and Happy Trails to you as well, X.... lol.  This dire assessment of yours made me think of this  future assessment you're predicting is the future :

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Whoa.. and Happy Trails to you as well, X.... lol.  This dire assessment of yours made me think of this  future assessment you're predicting is the future :

you should be so lucky compared to what the tech gurus and show designers have planned.

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

you should be so lucky compared to what the tech gurus and show designers have planned.

I've come this far. I'm just getting my second wind.  I intend to go the distance with whatever comes my way with the DCI shows !!... Bring on the woodwinds !!.  I can handle ANYTHING !.... ( well, I  know I can talk up a storm before going down in flames anyway.. lol)

Edited by BRASSO

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. And in 2030, the shows of today, with today's marchers, will be considered " old, boring and unfullfilling " Drum Corps to the next generation of marchers/ fans when all the marchers of today will all still be in their mid 30's then.  Oh well, time "marches " on too... lol

I can recall thinking in my youth (I was born in 1962) that DCA was for senior citizens, especially when you would see photos of Harvey Olderman of the Hurricanes in DCN and DCW, then the oldest marcher in drum corps at the time. To me, they were all Harvey's. I can also recall an uproar in 1976 when the Bridgemen made their debut of their new uniforms and new styled show. I also remember some at CYO Nationals in 1978 being angered by Phantom Regiment's Stravinsky opener. DCA being for senior citizens changed when I drove a colleague to see a DCA show in Rhode Island, probably about 1998, and ran into people I knew who marched in corps who were younger than me. And, Bridgemen who were once radical and despised by many Old Schoolers back in the day are now Old School darlings.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I can recall thinking in my youth (I was born in 1962) that DCA was for senior citizens, especially when you would see photos of Harvey Olderman of the Hurricanes in DCN and DCW, then the oldest marcher in drum corps at the time. To me, they were all Harvey's. I can also recall an uproar in 1976 when the Bridgemen made their debut of their new uniforms and new styled show. I also remember some at CYO Nationals in 1978 being angered by Phantom Regiment's Stravinsky opener. DCA being for senior citizens changed when I drove a colleague to see a DCA show in Rhode Island, probably about 1998, and ran into people I knew who marched in corps who were younger than me. And, Bridgemen who were once radical and despised by many Old Schoolers back in the day are now Old School darlings.  

Time shifts memories too. Probably mine. As I don't ever recall anyone in N.E. having any anger issues back then with the Bridgemen when they came to N.E., nor with Phantom Regiment playing the Stravinsky opener. My parents were in their 60's at the time, and has been following Drum Corps since the end of WW 2, and LOVED the Bridgemen all the way from the St. Andrews Bridgemen more standard style to simply their Bridgemen fun filled  styled days. Maybe it was the appealing music. Or their fun approach. I'm not sure. I know they thought their new unis were a hoot. Their show was a huge crowd pleaser with audiences wherever they went. Same with Phantom Regiment. At least in N.E. anyway. Thats my memory of this anyway.

My recollection of the Senior Corps in my youth was that they tended to be of equal quality, or of better quality, than that of the Junior Corps on the East Coast. Their audiences were a tad larger. Mission Drums At Boston College , a single Seniors Corps Drum Corps show, had a bit larger size audience than did the CYO Nationals at Boston College ( both had between 14-18, 000 on average at their shows ). All of those Senior Corps, on the east coast anyway, were All Male ( Guards included )...  Mostly, they were made up of grizzled veterans from WW2, Korean War, and in my youth, I gave them  mounds of major respect, as they looked like they could pick me up and toss me into the Atlantic if I said publically I did not like them or something about their Corps or their show.... lol... 

Edited by BRASSO

21 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Today I learned 2002 is "old drum corps".

I hear ya. Same here.

Might be time for me to get off the bus. LOL

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya. Same here.

Might be time for me to get off the bus. LOL

You'll know its time to leave Fran, when you forget where and when the bus arrives... lol

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Time shifts memories too. Probably mine. As I don't ever recall anyone in N.E. having any anger issues back then with the Bridgemen when they came to N.E., nor with Phantom Regiment playing the Stravinsky opener. My parents were in their 60's at the time, and has been following Drum Corps since the end of WW 2, and LOVED the Bridgemen all the way from the St. Andrews Bridgemen more standard style to simply their Bridgemen fun filled  styled days. Maybe it was the appealing music. Or their fun approach. I'm not sure. I know they thought their new unis were a hoot. Their show was a huge crowd pleaser with audiences wherever they went. Same with Phantom Regiment. At least in N.E. anyway. Thats my memory of this anyway.

My recollection of the Senior Corps in my youth was that they tended to be of equal quality, or of better quality, than that of the Junior Corps on the East Coast. Their audiences were a tad larger. Mission Drums At Boston College , a single Seniors Corps Drum Corps show, had a bit larger size audience than did the CYO Nationals at Boston College ( both had between 14-18, 000 on average at their shows ). All of those Senior Corps, on the east coast anyway, were All Male ( Guards included )...  Mostly, they were made up of grizzled veterans from WW2, Korean War, and in my youth, I gave them  mounds of major respect, as they looked like they could pick me up and toss me into the Atlantic if I said publically I did not like them or something about their Corps or their show.... lol... 

Uproar may be too strong a word, but a section near me at CYO Nationals that year was very vocal about their displeasure. The CYO band I marched with provided a bus that year, and on the way home we were told in no uncertain terms by our director that was not the way to act at a drum corps show or any event for that matter. Regarding Phantom in 78, this was a bit more vocal, but it was an exception for a drum corps sho.I loved Phantom's show as did some sitting with me, but we were shot down by people sitting in front of us who were actually removed from the show, and they weren't drunk,  just obnoxious. That being said, many of my favorite memories of drum corps are at CYO Nationals and the World Open and the love of drum corps was real, but there were also some opinionated cranks and they have their descendants today.

It's interesting you mention Mission Drums. That was a bit before my time attending shows, but it does not surprise me Mission Drums had the larger audience. A retired priest who lived in the rectory of a parish where I was assigned loved Mission Drums and claimed the tickets sold themselves. I'm sure a show that benefited foreign missions, that had the full support of Cardinal Cushing who did a great deal for the missions himself, didn't hurt matters either, though it's my understanding he enjoyed CYO Nationals too.

• Like 2