All time shows: Santa Clara Vanguard

Like being asked to pick one's favorite child...not fair!

Top 5:

Too many honorable mentions (1988, 2013, 2009, 2016, 2002, 2000, 2012, 1997...I could keep going on and on)

Least fave: 1995

I, like just about everyone else that has commented so far, find this nigh on impossible. I make no bones about SCV being my favorite corps and always find something about every show that makes me think "that's why I love them".  With that said:

Top 5:

1974 - The first year I saw them live (and every year after through '92...then kids).  And I fell in love with everything about them: uniforms, presence, performance, you name it.

1987 - Like so many others that night, I REALLY thought they had won.  Just a fabulous spectacle.

1988 - Although 89 was a juggernaut, take no prisoners onslaught, I thought 88 captured the essence of PotO better and was more nuanced and less forced.

1999 "New Millennium" - I wish I could have seen this live.  I had heard so much about this show and then I watched the video...wow.  If I can put this in my top 5 based on a video...

2016 "Force of Nature" - Breathtaking, like a modern version of so many of their mid-80s subtle shows.

SO close, this could be another top 5...

1975 - Perfect GE score. Wonderfully scored (I still marvel at the tympani/tenor voicing during the concert piece)

1978 - One of my favorite little details of theirs, ever:  Just before the big push of "If You Believe" the guard clicks their heels 3 times, a la Dorothy

1986 - Festive Overture.

2003 "Pathways" - If I had seen this live, it might be above. SO good.

2015 "Spark of Invention" - The engineer in me LOVED this show, as did the drum corps fan.

Least enthralling (because I have to?)

1993 - The first year since 74 I hadn't seen them live, and watching the video, I'm truly not sure how I would have reacted to this

2005 - Watched on video.  Didn't do much for me, to be honest.

God that was hard.  I could have EASILY put 1982, 1991, 2009, 2013, 2017, etc. somewhere in there and been perfectly happy with my choices.

• Like 1

With a play on words :

Favorites from SCV: ( loved these shows)

'78.... " Overture To A New Error "

'87.... " Russian Christmas Shopping "

'88.... :" Dial Tones. Phantom of the Operators "

'90..... " Carmen Intermezzo Allegro.. An Italian Journey "

'92... " Fiddler on the Lawn "

'99.... " Inventions for the Millenials "

2000.." Age of The Reverend "

2017...  " Out of Boris "

Least SCV favorites....   95... " Not the Nutcracker, So We Cracked Yours "

2009..... " A Ballad for Mirth "

Edited by BRASSO

Even with my recency bias of only really knowing shows from 2000 - present, this is still pretty tough.

In chronological order:

2001: New Era Metropolis is just such a Vanguard show. Quirky but intense music, awesome visual, and overall well paced show. Plus it just seemed different than everything else I remember from that year.

2009: Ballet for Martha is just absolutely gorgeous, from start to finish. 

2013: Les Miserables is just so much fun from start to finish. Easily one of my favorite shows to listen to.

2015: The Spark of Invention is such a unique show, and the light trick is perhaps my favorite late-season addition ever.

2016: Force of Nature is stunningly beautiful, impossibly so. 

• Like 2

Top favs

1987 - Russian Christmas Music

1989 - Phantom of The Opera

1999 - Inventions for a New Millennium 

2001 - New Era Metropolis

2014 - Scheherazade

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

With a play on words :

Favorites from SCV: ( loved these shows)

'78.... " Overture To A New Error "

'87.... " Russian Christmas Shopping "

'88.... :" Dial Tones. Phantom of the Operators "

'90..... " Carmen Intermezzo Allegro.. An Italian Journey "

Carmen, written in French by George Bizet, a Frenchman, about a Spanish lady has now made the big-time at the UN as Brasso and the EU have no boundaries and deem it Italian. That would send the Statehouse in Madison spinning.

51 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

In chronological order:

2001: New Era Metropolis is just such a Vanguard show. Quirky but intense music, awesome visual, and overall well paced show. Plus it just seemed different than everything else I remember from that year.

New. Era.  New Era.  New, new, new. New Era...

So much fun!

Mike

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Carmen, written in French by George Bizet, a Frenchman, about a Spanish lady has now made the big-time at the UN as Brasso and the EU have no boundaries and deem it Italian. That would send the Statehouse in Madison spinning.

Thats a different" Carmen "you're thinking of. I'm talking about " Carmen Intermezzo Allegro " above .He owns an Italian restaurant off the Jersey Tpk., in New Jersey that serves up the best Calamari on the east coast.

Edited by BRASSO

FAVORITES

2004 - Attraction: The Music of Scheherazade

2009 - Ballet For Martha

2017 - Ouroboros

LEAST FAVORITE

1992 - Fiddler on the Roof

1995 - Not the Nutcracker

2005 - Russia: Revolution-Evolution: 1917-1991