Mandarins 2018

I went to the Mandarin family day show yesterday and.... wow.  

This is, by every measure possible, the most difficult show the Mandarins have ever attempted.  I think that it is designed brilliantly in that this show will challenge the corps all season, meaning they will have ample room to grow score wise. The design is mature and complex, yet still accessible.  

Key take-always:

Brass: WOW. I am not a brass person but was blown away by their performance. The high brass feature sounded incredible. The trombones add such a great sound.  

Guard: The wind was CRAZY last night and I felt so bad for the guard. However, they still did a good job. Can’t wait to see them in full costume and with less wind.  They were really selling the story. As a guard nerd, I will be shocked if this guard does not end the season in the top 10.  They are phenomenal.  

Percussion/Pit: Great things, especially from the pit. 

The show features a large, rotating platform in the middle of the field: it really is impressive!

I can’t wait to see this show when the corps is in full uniform.  

Needless to say, this is the best Mandarins show I have ever seen. If this show doesn’t make finals, well... I just can’t see that happen. 

Finally, the corps feels hungry - I think they really, really want to make finals. They have been given a vehicle that can take them there, now they just need to continue the amazing job they are doing. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I went to the Mandarin family day show yesterday and.... wow.  

This is, by every measure possible, the most difficult show the Mandarins have ever attempted.  I think that it is designed brilliantly in that this show will challenge the corps all season, meaning they will have ample room to grow score wise. The design is mature and complex, yet still accessible.  

Key take-always:

Brass: WOW. I am not a brass person but was blown away by their performance. The high brass feature sounded incredible. The trombones add such a great sound.  

Guard: The wind was CRAZY last night and I felt so bad for the guard. However, they still did a good job. Can’t wait to see them in full costume and with less wind.  They were really selling the story. As a guard nerd, I will be shocked if this guard does not end the season in the top 10.  They are phenomenal.  

Percussion/Pit: Great things, especially from the pit. 

The show features a large, rotating platform in the middle of the field: it really is impressive!

I can’t wait to see this show when the corps is in full uniform.  

Needless to say, this is the best Mandarins show I have ever seen. If this show doesn’t make finals, well... I just can’t see that happen. 

Finally, the corps feels hungry - I think they really, really want to make finals. They have been given a vehicle that can take them there, now they just need to continue the amazing job they are doing. 

Agreed on all points! One of the criticisms of last year's show is that it didn't quite have the meat that that Top 12 corps had, and that was probably a key factor in them missing out on finals. That will NOT be an issue this year. 

Re: the guard, I've gone to some of their rehearsals earlier this month and their weapons regularly toss 5's or higher. Last night due to the wind they clearly made the choice to "mark" the tosses, either doing singles or just indicating a release (with a couple exceptions). When they eventually go full out, there will be plenty of guard moments that will add to the excitement of the many climactic moments in the show.

Edited by brassboy

YOU GUYS! I JUST SAW THE WEIRDEST THING! YOU ARE NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS!

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was at Stanford today.  What a freaking amazing show this season!  And someone told me that there was a missing prop that would probably improve the show quite a bit?  All of my friends who went are new to it but not hardcore followers and Mandarins were their collective favorite.

Instant standing-O from the crowd too---just fantastic.

Edited by NeutralNovice
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NeutralNovice said:

Was at Stanford today.  What a freaking amazing show this season!  And someone told me that there was a missing prop that would probably improve the show quite a bit?  All of my friends who went are new to it but not hardcore followers and Mandarins were their collective favorite.

If you click the twitter link in my post just a couple above yours, you'll see the stage that normally sits center field.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brassboy said:

If you click the twitter link in my post just a couple above yours, you'll see the stage that normally sits center field.

Oh awesome!!1 Reminds me of the Hamilton musical stage that rotates (it's just not raised).  That would have been such a fantastic effect to add to the show.

• Like 1