Mandarins 2018

So I say some things that I can't repeat in a group chat about this show.

It is so awesome and I love the ending.

I can't wait to see them NEXT Tuesday, Probably gonna take the day and watch the rehearse. Just got to figure out where they are staying.

Having seen every corps at yesterday's regional, my wife and I both thought that the Mandarins' show was the most pleasantly surprising. We really enjoyed last year's program, and this year they exceeded our already high expectations! The level of demand is up another notch from '17, and the show was consistent and engaging (even if there were times where I wasn't quite sure what, exactly, the show was trying to get across). I thought they'd be on the bubble for finals, but after yesterday I'd be surprised if they *don't* make finals. We got very similar vibes to seeing Academy this time of year in '16. I think the vehicle is there, so clean it up like maniacs the rest of the way!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, eg0n said:

Having seen every corps at yesterday's regional, my wife and I both thought that the Mandarins' show was the most pleasantly surprising. We really enjoyed last year's program, and this year they exceeded our already high expectations! The level of demand is up another notch from '17, and the show was consistent and engaging (even if there were times where I wasn't quite sure what, exactly, the show was trying to get across). I thought they'd be on the bubble for finals, but after yesterday I'd be surprised if they *don't* make finals. We got very similar vibes to seeing Academy this time of year in '16. I think the vehicle is there, so clean it up like maniacs the rest of the way!

Last night after their performance, I turned around to the DCI media box and said to Jim Tabuchi "Saturday Night, Baby!" and gave him a thumbs up!!  He had a nice big grin and said, Thanks so much! I'd be surprised to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great job last night and I am rooting for you all! I noticed a lot of new changes in the show last. Lots of cool layerings going on.

• Like 2

I really loved the show tonight.  I noticed there were 5 holes tonight with those members standing up front.  Many in the stands tonight said Mandarins were there favorite corps of the evening!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I really loved the show tonight.  I noticed there were 5 holes tonight with those members standing up front.  Many in the stands tonight said Mandarins were there favorite corps of the evening!

Did you actually see the holes, or were you basing it on the members  saw up front? I think I’ve noticed five members (3 in corps proper, 2 color guard) standing up front at pretty much every show I’ve seen photos of, making me think those might be alternates symbolically standing in uniform. Not sure though. 

• Thanks 1

A little anecdote to show how Mandarins' popularity is spreading:

I worked the Clifton, NJ DCA show last Saturday night. Until then,  for years I had described myself and my wife as the only diehard Mandarins fans in the northeast. On Saturday, though, we saw a lady with the purple Mandarins logo T-shirt at the show  :bigsmile: . Welcome to the club, unknown drum corps fan in New Jersey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there were holes.  I definitely could tell there was at least 1 guard, 1 contra, and another spot.  

49 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Yes, there were holes.  I definitely could tell there was at least 1 guard, 1 contra, and another spot.  

Did not notice that in Olathe in fact there was a group of extra's in full attire standing there watching the show.

Mandarins you are great and your visual does not suffer in smaller venues, great job. Scary though at first I thought a bunch of bats were going to be flying through the audience but after the havoc you generate on the field was relived you can't fly. It's an unjudged affect but you bring it all wherever you perform.  

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1