Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

Oh awesome!!1 Reminds me of the Hamilton musical stage that rotates (it's just not raised).  That would have been such a fantastic effect to add to the show.

If you make it to the Moonlight Classic tonight, I believe they'll be using the stage (it's artificial turf).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught a video.   Wow.  Wow wow wow.  They’re doing the kind of shows that are right up my alley this year and last.   VERY dark and super weird but in a way that is emotionally captivating and entertaining as hell.   I can not wait to see them on the road this summer.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I caught a video.   Wow.  Wow wow wow.  They’re doing the kind of shows that are right up my alley this year and last.   VERY dark and super weird but in a way that is emotionally captivating and entertaining as hell.   I can not wait to see them on the road this summer.  

I think a great number of people are going to sit up and take notice when they see Mandarins live this year. They have matured so much. Just a few years back they couldn’t have considered even trying to do a show like this. Now they are performing with a skill and confidence that fans aren’t used to seeing from them. For many, they are going to be the big surprise of a summer, and a pleasant one at that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I must admit I know very little about the internal organizational structure there at the Mandarins. But I do know that in order to become a strong Corps on the field, a Corps must have a strong organization with people of know how and experience behind the scenes. This is wonderful watching this Corps emerge this season like this !

 The Mandarins as we know are from Sacramento, California. For long timers here, they know that Sacramento, Calif has produced 2 TOP 12 DCI  Corps in the past at various stages..The Freelancers and the Commodores. So I was wondering, do the Mandarins from Sacramento have volunteers. BOD members, financial backers, etc that were once afiliated with these 2 Corps ? Or is this pretty much a Corps that has little to no connections at all in staff/ alums/ donors. etc to these 2 former terrific Corps from Sacramento ?

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staff have connections everywhere. There area also alumni who marched in multiple corps. The corps is not "young", actually it's their 55th year. They just haven't been well known. I don't know of any affiliations with Freelancers or Commodores, not that it isn't possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

 I must admit I know very little about the internal organizational structure there at the Mandarins. But I do know that in order to become a strong Corps on the field, a Corps must have a strong organization with people of know how and experience behind the scenes. This is wonderful watching this Corps emerge this season like this !

 The Mandarins as we know are from Sacramento, California. For long timers here, they know that Sacramento, Calif has produced 2 TOP 12 DCI  Corps in the past at various stages..The Freelancers and the Commodores. So I was wondering, do the Mandarins from Sacramento have volunteers. BOD members, financial backers, etc that were once afiliated with these 2 Corps ? Or is this pretty much a Corps that has little to no connections at all in staff/ alums/ donors. etc to these 2 former terrific Corps from Sacramento ?

Not being affiliated with the corps, can’t say for sure, but I would think that some local alums, especially those from Freelancers, are supportive in some form or another. The Moonlight Classic show itself was started and sponsored by SOME (Supporters Of Music Enrichment), which was a alumi/support group associated with the Commodores [the Commodores were actually a Stockton, not Sacramento, corps] when it was held at UOP.  And the Freelancer Alumni Corps traditionally performs at that show. I know some Freelancer alums have volunteered to help with the Manderin hosted Capitol Classic show. Beyond that, we’d have to ask the corps itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Photographer Jim said:

Not being affiliated with the corps, can’t say for sure, but I would think that some local alums, especially those from Freelancers, are supportive in some form or another. The Moonlight Classic show itself was started and sponsored by SOME (Supporters Of Music Enrichment), which was a alumi/support group associated with the Commodores [the Commodores were actually a Stockton, not Sacramento, corps] when it was held at UOP.  And the Freelancer Alumni Corps traditionally performs at that show. I know some Freelancer alums have volunteered to help with the Manderin hosted Capitol Classic show. Beyond that, we’d have to ask the corps itself. 

 Oh, I see.. makes sense too ( also forgot that Commodores were actually from " Stockton ", and not " Sacramento" )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve been building for years.  They were a power in the lower divisions back when and have been making a careful and steady push design wise and organizationally since stabilizing from the “small but feisty” lean years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mandarins rep, as best we could tell from all the way across the continent. has been that they were always very strong organizationally and financially, (as well as competitively, particularly in their D3 days). My wife and I, all the way across the country in Connecticut, have been fans of theirs for decades now. We're probably the only folks in New England who each own BOTH classic Mandarins dragon T-shirts AND their 50th anniversary shirts!

We're not at all surprised that they're making the competitive move they seem to be this year. I don't know this to be the case, but if they have ties to their management from previous decades, for consistency, and have brought in the right additional people, it's only to be expected that they'll be one of the big guns now!

And, besides, a friend of ours has a kid in the bari line, too, so there's a little personal rooting interest, too!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

They’ve been building for years.  They were a power in the lower divisions back when and have been making a careful and steady push design wise and organizationally since stabilizing from the “small but feisty” lean years.  

 Thats great... and demonstrates that it can still be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.