Contest for Aspiring Drum Corps Arrangers

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

Not quite.

Anyone can arrange a piece of copyrighted music. The kicker is they can't give it to an ensemble to rehearse or perform without obtaining permission. For example, I can arrange every song off Taylor Swift's latest album and it's no problem. The second I had it to an ensemble, problems arise.

Of course you can arrange anything (for your own 'educational' purposes) But.... if you take that arrangement, which was just intended for your own personal education, and enter it in a public contest, especially one that offers monitary or product compensation to winners, no matter if an ensemble performs it or not, that takes it out of the realm of fair use and into the realm of commercial use. Thus at the point of submission to that contest you must have the permission if the Copyright Holder for that arrangement.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

MuseScore's creative commons licences only cover arrangers in the sense that you're granting blanket licences over your work, not the original. Think of it as a portfolio for arrangers and composers. A legal one.

In the strict sense of a music school where you do an excersise in arranging a portion of Copyrighted material, and it is presented to a professor for feedback reasons, then you either file or destroy the arrangement, that falls under fair use in educational evaluation of your work. However, that is not the case here. The Creative Commons Licensing does not cover you in making a dirivitive work based on another person's Copyrighted material and posting it on a website for public consumption or contest; that is commercial not educational. Moreover, the Copyright Holder owns all rights to the original 'and' any subsiquent dirivitive work you do as long as that work can be recognized as being based on the original material.

Edited by Stu

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Creative Commons Master Terms of Service

"Item 6: Content Supplied by You: Your responsibility: You represent, warrant, and agree that no Content posted or otherwise shared by you on or through any of the Services (“Your Content”), violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights, breaches or conflicts with any obligation, such as a confidentiality obligation, or contains libelous, defamatory, or otherwise unlawful material."

I state again: Creative Common Licensing does not blanket cover derivative works of material Copyrighted by someone else.  It is not a free-for-all to by-pass getting permission to arrange Copyrighted material and sharing that derivative work with the world.

Since I'm often at odds with Stu, I should perhaps note that I agree with him (subject to Kamarag's caveat and Stu's subsequent elaboration). I hadn't read the rules and assumed that only material in the public domain, as many Christmas songs are, was eligible. And it looks like the site includes the option of electronically performing any music published there, so even if this weren't a contest with a monetary prize, it seems to me that all music posted there effectively has been, to paraphrase Kamarag, "handed to an ensemble to perform".

While in practice, the only likely negative consequence of posting an arrangement of a work under copyright to that site is, as danielray says, a request from the rights holder to have the piece removed, it does appear that simply posting an arrangement of, say, "The Christmas Song", to Musicscore violates the law.

6 hours ago, danielray said:

A big refactoring/migration coming up. What's your language of choice? A lot of points to get involved.

I’ve worked (professionally) with C# since version 1.0.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

While in practice, the only likely negative consequence of posting an arrangement of a work under copyright to that site is, as danielray says, a request from the rights holder to have the piece removed, it does appear that simply posting an arrangement of, say, "The Christmas Song", to Musicscore violates the law.

Pretty much. Creative Commons applies only to original works or the unique arrangement of a work, but not to the original work itself.

So, the model is pretty similar to YouTube, where rights holders either request that an infringing work be removed or license the work/otherwise monetize it in cooperation.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the winners have been announced (here).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/24/2017 at 7:08 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I see the winners have been announced (here).

One guy even wrote some drill!

Cool!