Contest for Aspiring Drum Corps Arrangers

8 hours ago, danielray said:

The basic premise of Musescore.com is that any work that is created and uploaded by anyone may be used by anyone else, anywhere else, for any purpose they see fit, including but not limited to downloading the source file and creating and distributing a new derivative work.

Many online creative communities in other creative fields use Creative Commons licensing for their communities of amateur, but aspiring, creators.

Creative Common Licensing does not blanket cover derivative works of material Copyrighted by someone else.  It is not a free-for-all to by-pass getting permission to arrange Copyrighted material and sharing that derivative work with the world. For example, an aspiring arranger cannot just arrange Schindler's List by John Williams without being granted permission and upload it on a Creative Commons Licensing website in order for the arrangement to be used by anyone else, anywhere else, for any purpose they see fit.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Creative Common Licensing does not blanket cover derivative works of material Copyrighted by someone else.  It is not a free-for-all to by-pass getting permission to arrange Copyrighted material and sharing that derivative work with the world. For example, an aspiring arranger cannot just arrange Schindler's List by John Williams without being granted permission and upload it on a Creative Commons Licensing website in order for the arrangement to be used by anyone else, anywhere else, for any purpose they see fit.

I cannot speak to whether that particular work may or may not currently be covered without a specific inquiry to those within the company dealing with licensing and legal issues, but as mentioned...

19 hours ago, danielray said:

Clarifying the issue of licensing, the company assumes all licensing responsibilities. Anything not currently covered under relationships with rights holders is immediately removed upon rights holder request.

As there are currently many millions of content contributors to the site, there are established relationships, policies, procedures and teams for all of this. I will not go into much detail here, but these issues are considerably different at such a scale and bundled, compared to one-off requests. Entirely different universes.

Edited by danielray
typo

16 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Finale — my goto notation app.

Composing/arranging:  Even if you only spend 20-30 minutes a day working on a piece, it’s worth the effort.  My problem — I loved arranging more than attending classes.  Don’t be like me.  Haha!

Been getting back into arranging as a bit of a hobby. Would be interested to see what you think of the MuseScore editor. Any suggestions to improve, let me know.

BTW - current focus is radically improving marching percussion notation. Definitely some work to do, but aim is to be the best notation app out there for this segment... and free.

26 minutes ago, danielray said:

I cannot speak to whether that particular work may or may not currently be covered without a specific inquiry to those within the company dealing with licensing and legal issues, but as mentioned...

As there are currently many millions of content contributors to the site, there are established relationships, policies, procedures and teams for all of this. I will not go into much detail here, but these issues are considerably different at such a scale and bundled, compared to one-off requests. Entirely different universes.

Creative Commons Master Terms of Service

"Item 6: Content Supplied by You: Your responsibility: You represent, warrant, and agree that no Content posted or otherwise shared by you on or through any of the Services (“Your Content”), violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights, breaches or conflicts with any obligation, such as a confidentiality obligation, or contains libelous, defamatory, or otherwise unlawful material."

I state again: Creative Common Licensing does not blanket cover derivative works of material Copyrighted by someone else.  It is not a free-for-all to by-pass getting permission to arrange Copyrighted material and sharing that derivative work with the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danielray said:

Been getting back into arranging as a bit of a hobby. Would be interested to see what you think of the MuseScore editor. Any suggestions to improve, let me know.

BTW - current focus is radically improving marching percussion notation. Definitely some work to do, but aim is to be the best notation app out there for this segment... and free.

I’ll give it a spin. 

Edit:  Too bad it’s written in C++.  I might have wanted to help out with development.  Sigh!

Edited by CrownBariDad

Would absolutely love to see a more robust marching percussion editor.  I love MuseScore, if for nothing else than to learn how much better musicians than me can create amazing compositions. 

Mike

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Creative Commons Master Terms of Service

"Item 6: Content Supplied by You: Your responsibility: You represent, warrant, and agree that no Content posted or otherwise shared by you on or through any of the Services (“Your Content”), violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights, breaches or conflicts with any obligation, such as a confidentiality obligation, or contains libelous, defamatory, or otherwise unlawful material."

I state again: Creative Common Licensing does not blanket cover derivative works of material Copyrighted by someone else.  It is not a free-for-all to by-pass getting permission to arrange Copyrighted material and sharing that derivative work with the world.

Stu, my friend... don't see much reason to peel the onion. Every layer from start, to finish, to in between is well under control. Any contradiction may or may not be intentional ("Objects in Mirror May be Closer than Appear", "Caution: Coffee HOT!", etc.). Would love to hear your insight on the product and experience. A lot of work to do there, for sure, but licensing... a team that does this, experts in their field.... on it. :)

Stu, my friend... don't see much reason to peel the onion. Every layer from start, to finish, to in between is well under control. Any contradiction may or may not be intentional ("Objects in Mirror May be Closer than Appear", "Caution: Coffee HOT!", etc.). Would love to hear your insight on the product and experience. A lot of work to do there, for sure, but licensing... a team that does this, experts in their field.... on it. :)

But peeling the layers is the only way to determine  the actual quality of the onion. And the contest is offering compensation of items with monitary value to at least three aspiring arrangers, which means those three will be paid in some manner for their services. So... MuseScore and Common Creative Licensing experts are 'on it' in terms of (making sure) aspiring arrangers know that they cannot submit arrangements of Copyrighted material without knowing firsthand that permission has been granted by the Copyright Holder, and those who produce derivative works of Copyrighted material and upload their arrangements for this contest will be disqualified and removed if the arrangement has failed to gain permission to arrange from the Copyright Holder?

Edited by Stu

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Not quite.

Anyone can arrange a piece of copyrighted music. The kicker is they can't give it to an ensemble to rehearse or perform without obtaining permission. For example, I can arrange every song off Taylor Swift's latest album and it's no problem. The second I had it to an ensemble, problems arise.

MuseScore's creative commons licences only cover arrangers in the sense that you're granting blanket licences over your work, not the original. Think of it as a portfolio for arrangers and composers. A legal one.