Star '91 Question

53 minutes ago, Medeabrass said:

Mingus, I believe that's from the UT Dallas or UT Arlington stadium (can't remember which) the week of finals.  I remember members that year saying the tape they laid down on that turf got melted in and Cook had to buy new turf or something.

As mentioned in the post quoting  the drum major Bobby Hullet, the cross was learned before their Lynn Massachusetts show it was put in somewhere nearby.  I might be confusing things but I remember in '92 we got to stay at a small college in Massachusetts before the Lynn show (dorm rooms and everything) which was the same place they had stayed in '91.  I seem to remember hearing it was chosen for it's proximity to George (obviously that decision was made before his death).  I also seem to remember the vets getting to visit George's grave.  A little bit of Googling of George, I noticed he was buried in nearby Malden.   So, a small university or college somewhere near Malden, Mass is my best guess.  I'll let someone from '91 fill in the gaps.

The college closest to Malden would probably be Tufts in Medford but it would not be what I would characterize as small.It does have a football field and would not be that far from Dilboy Field in Somerville. It could have been a number of the colleges in the Boston area.Greater Boston is not a huge area and the time it takes to get from one area to another often depends more on traffic than mileage. 

Tim, the place we were at didn't even have a football field.  It seemed like we were rehearsing on a courtyard.  It's really foggy.  It could've even been some kind of boarding school for all I know.

1 hour ago, Medeabrass said:

Tim, the place we were at didn't even have a football field.  It seemed like we were rehearsing on a courtyard.  It's really foggy.  It could've even been some kind of boarding school for all I know.

Now I’m stumped.

6 hours ago, Medeabrass said:

A quick google search, and it appears that You ( Star of Indiana ) in 92 competed in Beverly Ma.  I believe it was Hurd Stadium where the Cardinals Drum Corps Alumni had it that year. ( I go most seasons to their sponsored show, so its likely I was there for it too  )  Beverly is on the North Shore of Mass. Endicott College is a very small college there in Beverly.  Its a Private College,. Mostly students  taking housing there, not  typically what you'd call "a commuter college".They have a football program now, but in '92 they did not. Beverly Ma. also has an adjunct North Shore Community College there in Beverly, and they have no college football program,  and thus, no  football stadium. Maybe Star stayed at one of these... who knows.

Boston University is a large Metropolitan University ( approx. 30-35,000 students) located in downtown Boston. BU gave up its University's  Football Program in 97. But as such, they did have a football stadium there in '92, and prior to that there had been several DCA/ DCI shows in their football stadium there. My guess, its unlikely Star stayed in the City of Boston in either 91 or 92, but more than likely North, or Northeast of the City, up along the North Shore seacoast region around Lynn, Beverly, around there. But it appears from Bill Cook ( founder ) Diary, Geiorge Zingali came up with the Cross to Cross visual move late in August and  definately somewhere in Massachusetts ( where Zingali was born. raised ) during that '91 season. That '91 show from Star of Indiana was fabulous to begin with, imo... and the insertion of the Cross to Cross ( and the Corps superb execution of it ) helped put you all over the top in '91 ( DCI Title )

Edited by BRASSO

There's a ton of prep schools this could have been done at as well.  Not sure how many might have had turf v. grass at the time though.  Harvard has some sort of 'out of the way' fields up by the Charles river north of their stadium too.   

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

There's a ton of prep schools this could have been done at as well.  Not sure how many might have had turf v. grass at the time though.  Harvard has some sort of 'out of the way' fields up by the Charles river north of their stadium too.   

True as well.

57 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

True, but the prep schools  do not have dorms, at least not enough to accommodate a drum corps, and the person who marched in 1991 said stayed in dorms. This would make Endicott, the college Brasso mentioned. My sister graduated from Endicott and around 1989-1990, Endicott began expanding, but it would have still been a small prep school/college at that time. It also would have had the courtyard the person mentioned (graduation was held there) and lighting would have been poor. 

However, the more I read these comments, my recollection of Star practing at B.C. High is being blown out of the water. I’ll ha e to eat crow early, usually something I don’t have to do until my pre-season predictions go awry.

Edited by Tim K

58 minutes ago, Tim K said:

True, but the prep schools  do not have dorms, at least not enough to accommodate a drum corps, and the person who marched in 1991 said stayed in dorms. This would make Endicott, the college Brasso mentioned. My sister graduated from Endicott and around 1989-1990, Endicott began expanding, but it would have still been a small prep school/college at that time. It also would have had the courtyard the person mentioned (graduation was held there) and lighting would have been poor. 

However, the more I read these comments, my recollection of Star practing at B.C. High is being blown out of the water. I’ll ha e to eat crow early, usually something I don’t have to do until my pre-season predictions go awry.

Go easy on yourself with the self criticism with this Tim K.. It was over 25 years ago. Statute of Limitations . Taxed Memory Forgiveness for those over 50 prevails... lol. ( plus, if you're like me the Drum Corps days of getting down and doing 30 push ups for a mix up.... well, unless given 3 weeks to do the 30, that ain't about to happen either... lol )

Edited by BRASSO

On 4/15/2018 at 2:16 PM, BRASSO said:

Most here I would tend to think are familiar with the '91 Star of Indiana  closer that we are talking about here on this new thread topic, However, it was over 25 years ago now ( yikes.. hard to believe.. lol ), and so there might be a few that visit here wondering what is the " 91 Star of Indiana "Cross to Cross" visual that is being discussed. To assist any unfamiliar, the discussion revolves around this visual created by George Zingali for the Star of Indiana Corps and utilized in later part of the 1991 season by them. ( and also what was the previous visual closer that season before this one was added in August right before Championships )

This remains for me the greatest closing minute in DCI history.

• Thanks 1