Star '91 Question

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was there.  No, they shouldn’t have beaten Star.  Weird things always happened in Dekalb. 

I agree weird things happen in DeKalb, but it was in Platteville, WI.

I somewhat remember the show after we were placed above Star.  Why?  B/c we had a better run the next night.. go figure.  The other thing I remember (randomly) was their members were falling out during retreat from (what I heard) was food poisoning  Overall both corps had excellent shows that year but everyone knew from the beginning that it was Star's title to lose.  As for those 2 nights in June..meh...DCM was a strange beast.  

CM

An interest fact about Star '91. They are the only champion in history to not win a single caption outright, but tied for 1st in three (GE with Phantom, Brass with BD, and Percussion with Cavies). They finished 3rd in Visual. Personally, I'm not sure why they didn't win GE and Brass outright, but it is what it is.

On April 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM, George Dixon said:

I wasn't there. I'm saying DCI Midwest was known to hand out some very odd scores

Pretty sure they were pulled out of Roman's hat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Pretty sure they were pulled out of Roman's hat.

Well. look at the bright side. At least he didn't pull 'em out of the other end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

An interest fact about Star '91. They are the only champion in history to not win a single caption outright, but tied for 1st in three (GE with Phantom, Brass with BD, and Percussion with Cavies). They finished 3rd in Visual. Personally, I'm not sure why they didn't win GE and Brass outright, but it is what it is.

All three also had pretty strong programs in those captions, though across the board, Star was a better balanced corps all-around. System did what it was intended to with the end result. BD's horn book was a different kind of atom-smasher, but a pretty fine one, too. :satisfied:

On 5/1/2018 at 1:14 PM, BigW said:

All three also had pretty strong programs in those captions, though across the board, Star was a better balanced corps all-around. System did what it was intended to with the end result. BD's horn book was a different kind of atom-smasher, but a pretty fine one, too. :satisfied:

Agreed. However, I think with the simultaneous demands placed on the individual performs for Star were higher than anyone else, so I think they should have won brass and percussion. BD's hornline was fierce.