2018 Rules proposals

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Too bad???

2018 show theme: Bombogenesis!

imagine the licensing requirements

With the winter meetings starting tomorrow, I decided to update my stances on the rules proposals at hand.

#1 [Increase maximum membership to 154]: I'm OK with this. It's a very small increase, so it wouldn't bother me at all if this passed.

This is still fine. Again, not a huge increase, and the fact that many corps already have alternates at the ready to achieve this makes it reasonable. I would be wary about any future increases, however - but then again, with so many new corps applying for DCI competition within the next couple of years, they may not really need to do so for a while.

#2 [Increase Finals to 15 corps]: No... I love Cesario, but IMO this is problematic from both a competitive (corps would automatically be making Finals for the first time the first year it goes into effect) and a logistical (how the heck would 15 corps fit on the field at retreat?) standpoint.

I still hold the same stance on this; maybe in a decade or so (when we could have upwards of 50 corps performing at Prelims) it would make more sense, but for now,, I'd say it's not a good idea. Plus, Cesario said they would have to compromise the USMC performance if this were to pass... No.

#3 [No scores until July 1st] and #4 [No scores - ordinals only]: No and no. There's a reason why the hidden recaps failed in 2016.

I still don't think these should pass, but if anything has changed, it's that #3 may make more sense than I had originally thought. Still, I think early-season crowds (especially those out west) deserve to see a competition. I would suggest allowing the judges to score the corps but only release the placements during this time, but that brings back the problem of recaps leaking left and right, which is what happened in 2016 when DCI tried to hold judges accountable by hiding the recaps.

As for Hop's proposal, yeah, this one still hasn't made sense to me. I would be VERY disappointed of DCI passed this or (to a slightly lesser extent) the increase to 15 corps in Finals.

#5 [Annual Rules Congress]: I don't care either way, there seems to be a lot of change every season regardless.

I mean, BOA makes changes annually to its rulebook, but there are some changes they only make every three years (i.e. band classification). Makes sense that DCI would adopt a similar policy, although if they wind up being against it, that wouldn't hurt either.

#6 and #7: YES and YES. #6 was without a doubt one of the biggest problems of the 2017 season, and #7 would make it way easier to judge the brass from up high (i.e. projecting the sound & preventing excessive synth goo). Thank you Michael Martin, I hope both of these get passed!

People have been saying #6 is a little ambiguous, but I think this isn't anything the Rules Congress can't solve. If nothing else, at least put a ban on using shotgun mics. Those things were the worst last season.

I'll get to #7 in a moment, but first...

#8: Didn't this get proposed in 2016 as well? I recall I didn't really like it then, but then again things have changed a bit. Right now I don't care, I can see the arguments for and against.

#9: YES. FINALLY electronics and amping can be acknowledged in a score not named GE.

Hmmm... I still really like proposal #7, but when paired with proposal #8, there's the problem of making sure every caption within the Music caption is balanced. So I've come up with this...

• Pass Proposal #7, rename this caption "Ensemble Brass," and rename the preexisting Brass caption "Field Brass."
  • Do not pass Proposal #8, BUT in turn use Proposal #9 to clarify the Music Analysis caption.
  • Keep the two percussion captions as is, BUT pass the verbiage in Proposal #8 that keeps the Field Percussion judge in a safe area on the field.
  • For Regionals and Championships, the Music caption would appear as follows:
    • Field Brass
    • Ensemble Brass
      • Both averaged and divided by 2, like the Percussion judges currently
    • Music Analysis (clarified)
    • Field Percussion
    • Ensemble Percussion
      • Both averaged and divided by 2
  • For 8-judge panel shows, the Brass and Percussion judges would alternate location between the field and the press box each show. At some shows, the brass judge is on the field and the percussion judge is in the box; at other shows, it's vice versa (percussion on the field, brass in the box).
  • For 5-judge panel shows, if a Brass or Percussion judge is used, he/she should be on the field if possible.

So in summary, not too much has changed, just a lot of clarification of my stances as we head into the first day of meethings. I can see as many as 7 of these proposals passing.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

imagine the licensing requirements

I wonder if they could get Jim Cantore  to do voiceovers for the show. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

For 8-judge panel shows, the Brass and Percussion judges would alternate location between the field and the press box each show. At some shows, the brass judge is on the field and the percussion judge is in the box; at other shows, it's vice versa (percussion on the field, brass in the box).

I don't know about this one.  Alternating brass/percussion in the box leads me to think a corps with one of these captions average and the other much better, might make out when the average section is judged from the box, especially percussion.  The box in some stadiums are almost 200 yards from the section being judged.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I don't know about this one.  Alternating brass/percussion in the box leads me to think a corps with one of these captions average and the other much better, might make out when the average section is judged from the box, especially percussion.  The box in some stadiums are almost 200 yards from the section being judged.

Good point. Perhaps that's an argument for proposal #8.

45 minutes ago, Ghost said:

percussion is in the box except for when they have both judges in use now.