2018 Rules proposals

The Sound Engineers will likely become even more important to these DCI Corps placements/ scores in the ensuing years. Thats my first take on what was passed/ rejected this weekend in Indy.

For example, a Brass Caption head and his assistants can make the brass line perform and execute the music played musically" better". BUT.... the sound engineers can make that brass line SOUND better ( or worse ) thru creative and expert electronic wave sound add ons and brass sound manipulations that reach the distant judges/ audience ears. Big difference.

Its a whole new world. Put your seat belts on. Its gonna be a fast and new ride into the unknown like never before, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's something that I'm sure will anger fans of the brass amplification limitation proposal: Out of the 25 instructors and designers that voted at the Instructors' Caucus, THREE (3) approved that proposal. I think this really goes to show just how much instructors and designers really care about the fans.

Source: https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results

There’s middle ground between the proposal and what could be good. Even the author of the proposal said it was more to get conversation flowing. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

There’s middle ground between the proposal and what could be good. Even the author of the proposal said it was more to get conversation flowing. 

Had I written the proposal, I would have set the limit at nine or ten in order to allow one of every part in a small ensemble (three trumpets, two mellos, three bari/euphs, and one or two tubas), but I'd much rather the limit be six than 154.

22 minutes ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

Had I written the proposal, I would have set the limit at nine or ten in order to allow one of every part in a small ensemble (three trumpets, two mellos, three bari/euphs, and one or two tubas), but I'd much rather the limit be six than 154.

i wouldnt have written in a specific number. i would have written it in a way so it's noted that the judging community notes and scoring reflects the attempts at smoke and mirrors

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m ok with two MA guys and the Percussion ensemble guy gone. Why?

the upstairs Percussion guy waa basically a second MA judge anyways

No. MA is the worst-judged caption, IMO, and now we just made it worse. Not only will we have 1 poorly-trained, clueless ensemble person, but now we'll have two. I'd like it better if they said "We'll use two people, but they will confer with each other, and come up with one number." But as it is now, when you take two entities, A and B, both with 50% chance of being qualified, you end up with a solution that is 25% qualified.

Don't get me wrong: It is BY FAR one of the most difficult things to judge, with many responsibilities, and the electronics just makes it harder. I wish they had proposed an entirely new school of educating MA judges instead!

7 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

No. MA is the worst-judged caption, IMO, and now we just made it worse. Not only will we have 1 poorly-trained, clueless ensemble person, but now we'll have two. I'd like it better if they said "We'll use two people, but they will confer with each other, and come up with one number." But as it is now, when you take two entities, A and B, both with 50% chance of being qualified, you end up with a solution that is 25% qualified.

Don't get me wrong: It is BY FAR one of the most difficult things to judge, with many responsibilities, and the electronics just makes it harder. I wish they had proposed an entirely new school of educating MA judges instead!

I’ll disagree as the proposal spelled out the problem and myself and others have been saying it for years. I see it in DCA and in the band world. 

Honestly the drum drum guys are better prepared to speak on the electronics and for years they are always the first thing blamed for ensemble issues because brass guys felt safest doing that and still do it. Drum guys are also more prepared to give credit for environmental demands both designed and achieved and they have decent training to speak to brass. Most brass guys know enough about Percussion to be an nfl referee 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Now you have to pay the lobbyist B. Image result for money emoji

Its worth it.... and I simultaneously lobbied Congress and got them to approve a tax deduction for it in their new Tax Law.

17 hours ago, Liahona said:

I agree..not a fan for 15 at finals..dilutes the exclusiveness...I've never been a fan of the philosophy of everyone getting a participation trophy...

I agree as well. Once it was voted favorably out of committee and presented to the Corps Directors to vote on, it was agreed to keep Finals as TOP 12, which as been DCI's format since its inception in '72.

• Thanks 1