2018 Rules proposals

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

seats were roped off. prime, revenue producing seats

I would imagine that did not make DCA prez Mickey Petrone very happy.  LOL.

The thing I remember most about that year was that our brass caption head Dennis Dewey would sit in the stands, approximately where the judge would be, to work our horn line during ensemble time on show days. 

Early on, some of our members would grumble that he was missing some "inside dirt" at field level... but his point was,  if the judge up here doesn't hear that dirt, then it's not happening. LOL. 

Edited by Fran Haring

On 1/25/2018 at 11:53 AM, Jeff Ream said:

wrong.the criteria is built for a such a message. if your balance is out of whack the whole show, 2 tenths is not a message. it's "yeah i know, so sorry'. 5 tenths sends a message..."get your crap together and don't cry to me you're not getting credit because i can't hear the winds over the amps!"

those messages are not being sent in DCI, and in some band circuits. i'm not talking an issue in a spot or two, i'm talking show wide, and those issues DO happen in DCI. I still remember that year at East when Crown had the amps up so #### high people on the 20 complained the couldn't hear the corps. Yet they popped high 9's. I was rows away from the judges and i had issues hearing the battery and brass the entire show.

As I had stated...."Totally obscuring the rest of the ensemble at one and, and slightly out-of-balance on the other end is a wide continuum" There should be a difference in the scores based on the level of the issues. However, IMO the term 'sending a message' in general terms implies a judge going beyond the normal reaction and over-penalizing an ensemble for whatever that "message" is that is being sent. 

Judges should not send messages in that context...they should evaluate what is being presented within their caption.

Maybe we have different meanings tot the term. 

45 minutes ago, MikeD said:

they should evaluate what is being presented within their caption. 

And the caption score should take a good hit no matter how historically strong a corps brass/percussion sections are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I would imagine that did not make DCA prez Mickey Petrone very happy.  LOL.

The thing I remember most about that year was that our brass caption head Dennis Dewey would sit in the stands, approximately where the judge would be, to work our horn line during ensemble time on show days. 

Early on, some of our members would grumble that he was missing some "inside dirt" at field level... but his point was,  if the judge up here doesn't hear that dirt, then it's not happening. LOL.  Our brass assistants would catch the field-level stuff. Dennis was correct, and our scores reflected that. He knew his craft inside and out, for sure.

I remember, 91 or 92, seeing Donnie LIE, RIP, sitting in the middle of the lower level judging ensemble....his seat, and 4 seats a row in front and behind roped off for him. in Scranton that probably ###### off the rude Legionaires more than Mickey

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

As I had stated...."Totally obscuring the rest of the ensemble at one and, and slightly out-of-balance on the other end is a wide continuum" There should be a difference in the scores based on the level of the issues. However, IMO the term 'sending a message' in general terms implies a judge going beyond the normal reaction and over-penalizing an ensemble for whatever that "message" is that is being sent. 

Judges should not send messages in that context...they should evaluate what is being presented within their caption.

Maybe we have different meanings tot the term. 

yes, they should. given the rice krispies coming out of Crowns wireless mic last year, the score was overly generous. We shouldn't reward failure.

• Like 2