The number of World Class Corps

That's hard to predict. In the late 90's/early 2000, I thought the activity would be gone within ten years. I did not blame changing trends in drum corps such as the Key of G to B-flat, props, changes in guard, or any of the more common targets. I attributed it to changing times and costs. Since it was more a realist stance and not a doomsday prediction and one time I hoped to be able to say I was wrong, I didn't broadcast it and hoped they'd last as long as possible. Now I think we're seeing what may be a rebirth. We'll never see the  number of corps as in the past or a resurgence in one time hotspots, nor will we see the varied level of corps, but we could see more.

I would wonder whether the number of WC corps is important.  We could have hundreds, but if they are not very good, would it matter? I think the health of OC corps and the variety of corps will be key. There are some Soundsport groups looking to step up and that's great. The health of school musical programs is also essential. I know there are wonderful groups in high school band circuits, but I wonder if we did the math, the percentage of high schools with top notch music programs is small. 

If you want a number, it's almost Christmas and I'm filled with holiday spirit, so I'll say 35 within ten years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Either 42, because that is the answer to the ultimate question, or 3, because that is the number of licks the owl says it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

• Like 1

There will be 420, and everyone will be playing Bob Marley shows.

This will fulfill the prophecy set forth by George Hopkins prior to the start of the 2016 season.

Edited by FaustianMachine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

There will be 420, and everyone will be playing Bob Marley shows.

If that's the case, when I hit the lottery I'm going to start that all-Hendrix circuit for corps that want to break away and do different stuff. :8_laughing:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

If that's the case, when I hit the lottery I'm going to start that all-Hendrix circuit for corps that want to break away and do different stuff. :8_laughing:

Or a dead circuit, entire 15 minute productions just that encompass just one song... Presenting their 2031 program "Althea" 

Edited by sacrificialclown
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

some people involved in the activity want there to be 7 world class corps...

that ship has pretty much sailed.

• Like 2