Pioneer v.s. Jersey Surf, who will score and finish higher?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Pioneer v.s. Jersey Surf, who will score and finish higher?

• Pioneer
    • Jersey Surf

Hi everyone, as part of my drum corps poll series, I’ve come up with my next match up. Throughout the 2017 season Pioneer and Jersey Surf went head to head at numerous competitions throughout the season. At the DCI World Championships, Pioneer finished 34th and Jersey Surf finished 27th. Even though there is a gap between the two, that gap might close up next season. Pioneer is on a mission to field a full Corps next season. Within the goal of marching a full corps next season, Pioneer has a goal of marching a full hornline of 80 brass next season. As of right now, they have 44 brass members registered for their first camp in January. They expect to have their full 80 man hornline by their march camp. Also, pioneers 2018 production Irish Dragons is going to be a show that is going to be the beginning of a new era for pioneer. With this new growth for pioneer, Pioneer is on a mission to rise to the top both competitively and as an organization. Pioneer is going to be a force to be reckoned with next season. After having said all that, who do you think will score higher and finish higher. 

Please vote and we’ll find out!

Surf and Pioneer share one thing in common: both corps take the importance of a good drum corps experience for marching members seriously. I think both corps could push marching members a bit more, but I've enjoyed both corps for a number of years. One difference, at least from my observations is that Surf generally has a younger corps, and I know Surf is a starter corps for many. This gives Surf the potential for more drive. Pioneer strikes me as a bit older, closer to age 20 to 21, but they are happy with where they are. I know many in Pioneer were disappointed with low scores for a show that should have scored a bit better. Pioneer has very good musicians as the Individual conpetition has shown, but while I always see a corps that enjoys performing, I don't see the drive to move up a bit.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I know this a super old topic but after seeing the videos and pictures being put out both corps and DCI, I think that it’s going to be super tight in 2018.

Pioneer -

44+ member hornline

Addition of new sound effects 

Upgraded sound equipment

New staff 

Jersey Surf -

New direction

Higher standards set

Faster learning ( Drill )

Edited by Dchristian125

It's great that Pioneer will have larger numbers this year, and I wish them and Jersey Surf well. My dream scenario is for every World Class corps to score at least 75 (something Pioneer hasn't done since 2009 and Surf since 2014). But a stronger small corps can outscore a weaker large corps, especially among the lower-tier ensembles. In 2016, for instance, Raiders placed ahead of five corps notably larger than them.

Honestly, I think Pio has gotten the short end of the stick in a few recent seasons.  It's not too encouraging hearing that they finished opener drill on the 3rd (according to their FB).   However, this by no means is the end all for their success against other corps in their area.   Surfs shows have fallen flat for me compared to Pio.  Higher content might mean slower progress, but may mean higher achievement later... we'll see...

Surf has made some nice additions to the staff which will help keep the direction focused. Design seems to have advanced as well. The key now is keeping those people, retaining kids, and building on it. If you look at Blue Stars as they worked from D3 to now World Class, there was a core group that stayed and grew together along the way

• Like 1

For historical perspective, Jersey Surf has placed ahead of Pioneer every year in the Lucas Oil Stadium era.

2017: 27th vs. 33rd
2016: 26th vs. 29th
2015: 28th vs. 29th
2014: 22nd vs. 30th
2013: 22nd vs. 28th
2012: 20th vs. 27th
2011: 25th vs. 27th
2010: 21st vs. 23rd
2009: 20th vs. 21st
Average: 23.4 vs. 27.4

On 6/5/2018 at 2:48 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Surf has made some nice additions to the staff which will help keep the direction focused. Design seems to have advanced as well. The key now is keeping those people, retaining kids, and building on it. If you look at Blue Stars as they worked from D3 to now World Class, there was a core group that stayed and grew together along the way

One of the things that I believe helps fans love Surf, and Pioneer for that matter, is the dedication to the overall experience. I have never heard anyone who has marched with either corps say anything but great things about their time with each corps. What some people have said about Surf is that while they loved their time, they had to move on if they want to have a shot at competing on finals night. I’ve also heard some Surf parents claim they are not pushed enough and this is why prelims is often their last show. 

It should be noted that Pioneers intro and opener equates to a little less than half of their full program. They currently have almost 8 minutes on the field as of the end of the marching block today. We hope Surf is also having a great spring training and look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Edited by cdave
  • Like 2