New Tax "Reforms" offering D.C. Benefits

On 12/27/2017 at 9:47 PM, BRASSO said:

This is somewhat offset however by IRS agents no longer being required to " work overtime " to go after the non purchasers of Individual Health Insurance. Under current Health Insurance law, the Individual Mandate with Fed Gov't required people to purchase a commercial product from a private company, to wit... they were required to purchase a  Health Insurance policy from a Co. or pay a tax penalty to the IRS... as much as 1.5% of their annual income. The overwhelming majority of the non purchasers of Individual Health Insurance were primarily the Young and the Healthy too. However, under the new Tax Law, the Individual Mandate has been struck down and is no longer the law, and no longer something the IRS will be garnishing from the wages of Young/ Healthy for non compliance. The sourced info cited above makes no mention of this at all however. But for the Young and the Healthy, this is a pretty big deal if they don't have Health insurance premiums subsidized by their Employers, but must purchase it themselves instead if they want/ need Health Insurance for themselves.

As someone who works in health care, I find this rather sad.

So now that young healthy individual decides not to keep their insurance, becomes ill and now possibly is left with massive medical debt. I see this _a lot_. What that uninsured person did not pay is absorbed by the federal government and states (i.e., taxpayers), the practitioners and hospital that served them, those who donate, etc. The burden is just being shifted elsewhere.

This is already off-topic, and I won't argue about whether the mandate was good or bad, but an increase in uninsured individuals is not an improvement, and definitely not a step in the right direction of trying to contain health care costs.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As with too much legislation, I think that we will find in a few years that some of the arguments made in favor of this law will be seen to have been highly flawed or even outright lies. Maybe sooner than that. (One prominent southern senator who voted for the law said today that it's probably too friendly to corporations, who, he says, will use their tax cut savings to buy back stocks rather than to hire more workers or otherwise drive economic growth.) We will see.

It might be instructive to compare this to some of the claims that have been made in the past for DCI rules changes at the Januals. How many of those have delivered as promised?

• Like 1

Yes, I'm trying to think of all the times when something was done recently by the the Fed. Govt' in Wash, DC. ( of either Party there ) and it came out as they said it would.

Give me 3 weeks... just 3 weeks.... and I'm sure I can think of something that turned out the way they said it would ( lol).

Seriously though. before we run  afoul of the DCP guidelines on not posting discussions heavily tinged with politics, maybe as a suggestiion we should get back on topic here which really has to do with how DCI/ Drum Corps might be effected by this new Tax law. My hunch, neither DCI nor the Corps will be effected much at all by it. But if others what to chime in on how these entities will be majorly effected by this Tax Law, then feel free to share with us what the doomsday word is, and how bad it could get. I'm all ears to hear a contrarian opinion on this, even the most doomsday scenario that one might envision too.

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe the best approach is to consider other laws that have affected drum corps through the years?

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Maybe the best approach is to consider other laws that have affected drum corps through the years?

The Dec. 1, 1969 Act of Congress and signed by the President at the time sure impacted this hombre and his participation in Drum Corps.... as well as literally thousands of other marchers in Drum Corps, and negatively effected literally hundreds of Drum Corps with this law's passage and implementation.  It was like " winning " the Lottery.... lol!  This new tax law passed last week , by comparison, seems headed to mostly one of an inconsequential nature to DCI, Corps, MM's to me. But... who really knows, we'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Temperatures in much of the world (most of Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, and Antarctica, parts of South America, and the western U.S.) actually are above average right now, relative to normal temperatures this time of year, so if you really have a desire to see the former vice president so dressed, there are plenty of other places he could comfortably model for you.

Good statement. 7 days of cold weather doesn't negate years of warming. Economics same. A surge does not negate years of deficit. Look at the long run and sustainability.

2 hours ago, lindap said:

Look at the long run and sustainability.

A statement which applies as much to drum corps as anything else. Current trends are good but modest. (Open Class holding steady or growing slightly in each of the past five years, two corps moving up to world class in the past two years, attendance numbers generally up.) But will they continue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rancidrolla said:

2007 Cadets should have taken gold.

Thank goodness they didn't. The most annoying DCI show to that date.

(Cadets 2008: "Hold my beer.")

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A statement which applies as much to drum corps as anything else. Current trends are good but modest. (Open Class holding steady or growing slightly in each of the past five years, two corps moving up to world class in the past two years, attendance numbers generally up.) But will they continue?

I do hope so. I remember trying to procure funds for pageantry arts. Is it a sport? Is it an art? We found funds in culture. Keep looking for those tax breaks. Drum corps is cool.