Cavaliers v.s. Bluecoats

Cavaliers v.s. Bluecoats, who do you think will score and finish higher in 2018?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Cavaliers v.s. Bluecoats, who do you think will score and finish higher in 2018?

• Bluecoats
    • Cavaliers

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

While I (eventually) respected the concept, I really did not care for Cavaliers' show last summer and was baffled that the judges preferred it to Bluecoats'. But as with all these threads, I want both corps to do as well as possible, and it's certainly gratifying that Cavs seem to have pulled out of their slump of a few years back.

Bluecoats, to me, lost their position more than Cavaliers gained it. Their ballad never worked as the anchor of the show. I’ve not liked much of the new Cavaliers show design style. It was my least favorite show of the finalists. But in the end they continued to execute the concept at an increasingly higher level as the season progressed and they peaked at the right time.

There just wasn’t another level to Jagged Line, and I think their previous three shows raised expectations that they would do something fantastic down the stretch. It just didn’t happen. It was still my favorite show, but when it comes to scoring entertainment value isn’t always the decisive factor.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2017 at 3:24 AM, Hook'emCavies said:

The Cavaliers are celebrating their 70th anniversary this season. I really do believe they will keep their upward trend up

Cavaliers have some huge plans for their 70th for sure.  

• Like 2

I was surprised that the Cavies beat the Bluecoats on Finals night.  I know everyone said how great their colorguard was but I couldn't get past all of the clutter on the field.  It was a difficult show to follow visually -- just too much going on for me.  I didn't enjoy the music they played either.  Bluecoats' music was great!  Love their sound.  I picked Bluecoats for 2018.  I loved the Cavies in the early 2000s but this recent version lacks the sophistication that they had when they won Championships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blooo to me seems to have the edge and the higher ceiling. Cavaliers had a strong visual package last year with incredible guard, but I had a difficult time getting over the poor music construction and the choppiness of the show. I did not feel they deserved to beat Bluecoats at finals, but that's just an opinion. I wish both corps well (as I do with every corps out there) but I believe Bluecoats will be special this year. :)

• Like 3

The Cavaliers have been working hard to address the perceived weakness of hornline ( which that seems to be a historical weakness except for the 2000s decade).  This year, they're trying to go from a very good hornline to an elite one.  They seem to be extremely happy with their off season additions in the area, and from what little snippets I've heard from a camp or two, they seem to be on a mission in that regard. Also, they seem to have added some visual ideas as well.  The guard is set to do great things, and the percussion will be fantastic as usual.  The design team is reported to already know the show concept as well.

I ALWAYS love the Bluecoats as well.  Honestly, I don't know who is going to be better next year. 

I think Cavies' anniversary is going to cause them to try and be as complete and as competitive as possible.  So, I'm sure they're going to design in such a way as to make this 2018 season very special. These last several years, they've been trying to build back up to the elite ranks, and now they're going to be gunning for the top.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If this is true, big congrats to Yuuka! First female making top five snare line (Bluecoats) in five years? 

I wonder if she is the snare who played so wonderfully for the Blue Stars last year?

• Like 1