DCI Uniforms from 2018 and beyond

Hi, everyone,

before I get to my next match up episode, I wanted to take some time and talk about uniforms in DCI. Uniforms have been around since the birth of the marching arts. However, starting in 2016, a movement began. The Bluecoats won their first championships wearing costumes that were customed designed. When the Bluecoats made their departure, other corps followed the same path. In 2017, The Santa Clara Vanguard, The Blue Knights, The Cadets, The Madison Scouts, Gold, Southwind, and The Guardians made the move to costumes. Seeing this movement makes one wonder how long do traditional uniforms, ( shakos, plumes, jackets, and pants ), have until they  cease to exist in the Drum Corps World. When looking at the costumes themselves, they have both won championships and lost championships. In the 2016, The Bluecoats won their very first championship wearing costumes. However, the following year in 2017, The Bluecoats, The Cadets, and The Blue Knights finished lower than they did in 2016. On the flip side, The Santa Clara Vanguard and The Madison Scouts finished higher than they did last year in 2016. Santa Clara Vanguard managed to climb up all they way into the top three for the first time since 2004 and The Madison Scouts made it back into the finals after finishing 13th in 2016. For the Open Class Corps, The Guardians, Southwind, and Gold became the first open class corpsnto wear costumes. The movement of using costumes has spread to both the World Class Corps and the Open Class Corps. In my opinion, I like uniforms and hope that they stick around in drum corps.  Now, in this thread, please post below what your thoughts are on uniforms and costumes in DCI.

Edited by Dchristian125

DCI has always had diversity of attire, among all the Corps, so I would imagine ( and hope ) that this will continue into the forseeable future.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI has always had diversity of attire, among all the Corps, so I would imagine ( and hope ) that this will continue into the forseeable future.

I think Brasso has it right. There has been a lot of diversity for years, even though the recent outfits of some corps have been dramatically different. My guess is there will always be space for the traditional uniform and that its appearance will be welcome, maybe even thrilling. After a couple of years of costumes, wouldn't DCI fans shout out the return of the traditional SCV or Scouts look?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, insideout said:

It is also my understanding that the new “costumes” as you call it are possibly less expensive than traditional uniforms? I thought I read that somewhere... could be wrong.

correct, and in many ways parts can be used again and again as we have seen Crown do. 

• Like 4

On 12/29/2017 at 8:17 AM, Jeff Ream said:

correct, and in many ways parts can be used again and again as we have seen Crown do. 

Or BD to an extent...they always make alterations that make their current unis last several years before needing a completely new set.

Bring on our costumed overlords!

The traditional military/formalwear style of uniform doesn't fit with the hyper-athletic visuals of modern DCI.  It's a new creature altogether, and the uniforms have to update to match.  That said, we've seen this evolution happen over a number of years, and while the Bluecoats made the slope a little slipperier, we haven't fallen completely down the slide yet.  I'll be very curious to see what BD does next year, as this year's transformational approach felt like a one-off.  And I cannot wait for the year that Phantom finally bites the metaphorical bullet - there are so many possibilities for them.

Next up, I'm waiting for the first corps to evolve from dance wear to full-on athletic apparel. 

(Just for reference, the uniform fee for my kiddo's spandex uniform was $400, but we did get to keep it.  (still trying to figure out how to frame it.)

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Troopers already announced a while back that they will have a "bold new look" in 2018. Based on one of the pieces in their repertoire for the summer, here's a sneak peek:

marchingband1-45bd785b1f86e282f2fdd7a6c1f0bb7b983837ee-s1600-c85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

I'll be very curious to see what BD does next year, as this year's transformational approach felt like a one-off.  And I cannot wait for the year that Phantom finally bites the metaphorical bullet - there are so many possibilities for them.

I think the one-off was more the stuff under the jacket.   I'd guess they'll add something long-sleeved and some trim alterations to the jacket.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The Troopers already announced a while back that they will have a "bold new look" in 2018. Based on one of the pieces in their repertoire for the summer, here's a sneak peek:

marchingband1-45bd785b1f86e282f2fdd7a6c1f0bb7b983837ee-s1600-c85.jpg

but how will that look with Stetsons? Blue, black, or cream?