Troopers 2018: The New Road West

22 minutes ago, bearwy said:

You know,  It's always been quiet in Trooperland so, I don't want to spill the beans.  I can say this is the strongest horn line and color guard I've seen for them this early.  They are marching well.  Drums...It's all just "white noise" to me.  I see a spark and drive there that I believe has been missing for some time.  I think Trooper fans will be quite happy.  The music is cool and relatable.  I will see them this weekend for their sendoff show.

More great RW Smith arrangements? I love how he wrote that transition from the tango into Nessum Dorma last year. That was one of my fave musical moments of the summer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bearwy said:

You know,  It's always been quiet in Trooperland so, I don't want to spill the beans.  I can say this is the strongest horn line and color guard I've seen for them this early.  They are marching well.  Drums...It's all just "white noise" to me.  I see a spark and drive there that I believe has been missing for some time.  I think Trooper fans will be quite happy.  The music is cool and relatable.  I will see them this weekend for their sendoff show.

Thanks Bear - wish I was there to see it all unfold along with you and others! I'll be seeing the corps in Texas (that's what I do almost every year - last year was the first year I missed since I don't know when). The Sunday after the San Antonio regional I'll be joining forces with some alums to offer the corps our traditional Texas Alumni Breakfast. Nothings says "NOT tour food" like breakfast tacos and yogurt with real berries and granola!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TerriTroop said:

Thanks Bear - wish I was there to see it all unfold along with you and others! I'll be seeing the corps in Texas (that's what I do almost every year - last year was the first year I missed since I don't know when). The Sunday after the San Antonio regional I'll be joining forces with some alums to offer the corps our traditional Texas Alumni Breakfast. Nothings says "NOT tour food" like breakfast tacos and yogurt with real berries and granola!

as an alumnus of another corps with a similarly vigilant/dedicated alumni base for decades,

thank you SO much for supporting the members with food, stories, love, attendance, etc. They appreciate it even if they don't know how to express it. I know I always did, even if I felt too tired after our ensemble rehearsal to tell each and every volunteer. Seriously, thank you! It sounds like a lovely alumni breakfast!

Edited by Dcbae!23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Preview night for Troopers was a standstill held indoors due to rain.  They sound amazing!  The music arrangements are very cool with a couple of nods to the past.  It took all of 60 years to produce this musical product.  The show is aggressive and yet very "hummable".  The 1st movement grows and grows to a peak that will have many people out of their seats.  The 2nd movement gives each section a chance to show off a bit.  The ballad is so well arranged/performed it literally had me welling up with tears.  The closer brings the entire thing together.  I think many people will remember the 2018 Troopers.  I know I will.  Many of us former Troopers have a tendency to be hypercritical of the corps of late.  I am guilty of this.  This program seems to have found a "sweet spot" between us traditionalists and the more modern version of DCI.  I wish them the best of luck for the season.  H.L.D.

• Like 5

On 6/13/2018 at 9:43 PM, Brian Tuma said:

More great RW Smith arrangements? I love how he wrote that transition from the tango into Nessum Dorma last year. That was one of my fave musical moments of the summer. 

When on tour, I always make sure I watch the Troopers. Regardless of their numerical standing they are a favorite .  They just have a presentation that rises above many of the average shows.

All the best this season

• Like 2

Just returned from the Troopers preview show.  The music is fantastic.  Brass is loud and the music has some emotional moments.  The brass was so loud you couldn't hear the percussion when they were playing.  The big moment of the opener (Black Parade) is AWESOME.  Movement 2 is very rhythmically diverse and challenging to march I'm sure.  The ballad sounded mostly original around the main theme of Both Sides Now" …. very moving.  The original closer by Robert W. Smith has hints of the past and a real western feel.   We were disappointed they weren't in uniform for the stand still, but everything I have seen is very cool in regards to uniforms.  Traditional with a nod of modern.  Anticipating a wardrobe change during the ballad.  Looks like there is time to add some length to the show and add some features.  The kids are very positive and had a great camp in Casper.   Hoping for a great tour and not to be slotted right of the bat.  Looks like Troop is starting the World Class portion of their first few shows performing before Academy and Mandarins, two corps that should be right along side the Troop all year.  BTW - No Willie Nelson or Barbara Streisand or Sound of Music.  (This is a good thing!)

Edited by dcidad426
  • Like 1

Anyone know where the Tropers are housing prior to the Clovis show? Their website says TBA still....

This would appear to be a pretty "official" Troopers thread, but as of ten minutes ago, there is no designated thread for the Troopers on the DrumScorps app. Anyone here friends with the mods?

• 1 month later...

Troopers seem likely to earn their best score since 2013. (Though it's worth remembering that they had a huge jump in semifinals that year. For a few seconds, people here thought they had jumped Blue Stars to make Finals.)

• Like 3